RV AC air filters

trimster

The filters in most RV AC units are junk. What are others using, that offer more filtration? Any DIY options/suggestions?

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

16 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Those would be far too thick to fit in air vents on our AC

You are right. I got the ones we have from Amazon, buy I think that I grabbed the wrong link. I don't have the package but this one looks more like it and it is .39". They are tight but will go. 

Frienda 40 x 16 Inch Air Conditioner Filter Reusable RV Conditioner Replacement

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You are right. I got the ones we have from Amazon, buy I think that I grabbed the wrong link. I don't have the package but this one looks more like it and it is .39". They are tight but will go. 

Frienda 40 x 16 Inch Air Conditioner Filter Reusable RV Conditioner Replacement

Other than the slightly tacky appearance, I have considered fashioning a bracket out of aluminum channel that would let me slide in a residential filter. The wife is not in favor of that, however.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Do you remember CC, the retired San Antonio police LT. who used to be on these forums and talked about his Bounder diesel with the garbage truck transmission? He did exactly what you are considering. He always kept a HEPA filter in it and it had a heat pump unit so was used a lot. CC was one of the best home fabricators that I have ever known. He was very active on these forums from about 2000 up to about  2015 when he passed away.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My MH has a ColemanMach/RVP 24,000btu basement heat pump. Winnebago supplied and recommended a cheap green mesh (air filter).

I have chronic asthma so I need clean air. I bought and use 14x20x1 Filtrete brand allergen filters. The first few months I had to replace the Filtrete filter once a week or so because it got so dirty it affected air flow.

After about 4 months I found I could extend replacement to every 2-3 weeks, now it is 6 weeks to 2 months. The  interior of the coach stays cleaner and the air is free of dust, plus my nighttime breathing is dramatically better.

I figure using the Filtrete filters is costing me about $200/yr.; but I'm not having to wash the green mesh hair filter.

When we had a 5er with roof units, I bought Filtrete filter  material in sheet form from WalMart; cut it to size and replaced the OEM "filters".

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961