towing

vacationer

The DMV here classes me as a class A and titled as truck with motorhome body. They also said i can bumper pull anything . But if i pull 5th wheel.it must be changed to truck not motorhome. I will double check with insurance. What does AAA say ? 

Neither Good Sams Roadside Assistance nor Coachnet will tow an HDT IF it is tandem.  They will tow a singled HDT.  Others will say they have been towed tandem but I spoke to higher ups in both companies and got the above information.  As Rick says, get it in writing, not just verbal.  That is from experience with Good Sams.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Having had a "no tow" situation, I will add:  DO NOT say your big truck, road tractor, semi, etc. is broke down.  You can say motor home, or tow vehicle, and request as big tow truck.  Tell them what it weighs and give them truthful information, but don't use words that might make them think you're commercial.  Cross that line, and it's game over, as we found 60 miles north of Destruction Bay.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

17 hours ago, vacationer said:

Well thats not good its not singled so that was a waste of money lol

My 20 mile tow was $750.  Out on the road that or more.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Okay, so as much as I don't want to get ridiculed about this. I'm going to put my 2 cents worth  in again . If you want insurance that will Tow your rig go to. Insurance solutions .And they will hook you up? As mentioned Above Do not, I repeat Do not mention anything about a semi. It is a R v Hauler. As much as everybody likes to brag about their trucks. This is a time where where less Information is a good Thing. You know that old saying if it looks like Duck walks like a duck, it is a duck. DONT TELL THEM IT IS A DUCK.Remember it is a RV HAULER. It Is no longer classified as a semi.

4 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Okay, so as much as I don't want to get ridiculed about this. I'm going to put my 2 cents worth  in again . If you want insurance that will Tow your rig go to. Insurance solutions .And they will hook you up? As mentioned Above Do not, I repeat Do not mention anything about a semi. It is a R v Hauler. As much as everybody likes to brag about their trucks. This is a time where where less Information is a good Thing. You know that old saying if it looks like Duck walks like a duck, it is a duck. DONT TELL THEM IT IS A DUCK.Remember it is a RV HAULER. It Is no longer classified as a semi.

You are correct! I made that argument at my insurance company the first time. RV hauler, doesn't even have a commercial 5th wheel plate, it's got a bed on it, no different than a class A except it bends in the middle.......which makes me less likely to run over something making a turn by the way..... It was an easy sell. They paid $500 bucks on my recent tow, of a $632, 2 mile tow bill.

1 hour ago, vacationer said:

So when they show up and say hey thats not a duck and drive away lol. 

Yeah, if they're a wuss of a wrecker driver. They see money, they'll tow you. 

Just so we are clear so everyone understands. “Tow Insurance “ is not an insurance in the strictest sense unless it is an add on to an existing policy. It is a service contract if bought through a secondary agent like Good Sam or Coachnet much like appliance service contracts such as Home Shield.  That is important because the service contracts although governed by insurance regulators have less stringent requirements.   Just be sure with any product get in writing what will or will not be covered. Plus they place the burden on you to keep up with their policy changes unlike insurance which must notify you. Important difference.  Not familiar with Runaway Parents suggestion of Insurance Solutions. Would be interested in what they offer.   Please note my remarks are my opinions based on my own experiences and research. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3