Ecm temperature while engine is running

Wrknrvr

So after treatment on the fuel in our Volvo.  It still had a problem. 

The truck diagnostics said ecm problem.

So I talked to a ecm rebuilder. Decided to send the ecm to them. They rebuilt it and sent it back. Installed it. 

So started the truck and it operated as it should.   Drove it several times on hilly roads. Cruise, jake and all dash displays work as they should.     So we left South Carolina headed to Atlanta Ga.    Tried cruise up hills and everything was working good.  No codes showing up.

North west of Atlanta it missed once. Then a few more times. Stopped and changed fuel filters.

It probably to 1 hour to get back on the road.   

We did have to change filters two more times. We are north of Nashville at this time. Parked with 15 amp power to keep rv operating. No AC .

Talking to ecm rebuilder .  Going to do some testing this am. Will start the truck as is. No filling the fuel filters. See what happens.

What I am looking for is what the temperature of the ecm itself should read while operating. And what temperature the fuel should be coming out of the ecm cooling plate. The fuel tanks seam to be hotter than what I would expect. Will keep track of all info that I can.

Trying to determine if the ecm is bad.     The truck seams to operate for a few hours operating. Then things seem to have problems. 

Thanks greatly, Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but remind us your motor Vern. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

41 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Cummins n14 red top

without touching the truck as in filling the fuel filters.

Engine started up as it should.

Ecm fault code is in active before I started the truck. 5 pm yesterday it was active 

Vern,

May not be helpful but make sure you don’t have an air leak at the primer pump/secondary fuel filter manifold. When they replaced my ECM they found a crack in mine. It’s probably been sucking small amounts of air for a while because now truck idles smoother and seems to run on the road smoother. BTW careful with who you send your ECM to for rebuild. I highly recommend Circuit Board Medics. They charge $1500 to rebuild plus return shipping. If they can’t rebuild will refund full amount minus shipping. They communicated with me and couldn’t rebuild mine. Refund was processed same day.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So today the truck started. At 6:30 . Did not do anything to it since last night. It run for two plus hours.

A shop mechanic stopped by. I told him I just put a rebuilt ecm in the system.

He grabbed the sensor connector and moved it towards the engine. Not much but some movement. It stated to miss.

So have another ecm being shipped and a new wiring harness for the sensors shipped also.

Will keep you informed 

2 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

There is no primer pump on a Cummins n14

Ok.  Sorry.  This ECM stuff is all new to me.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, if Vern's Cummins is similar to our ISX, the "primer" pump. or primary fuel pump, is electric.  A lot of farm equipment uses the same pump, a simple little cube that sits there and merrily buzzes away.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Carl, if Vern's Cummins is similar to our ISX, the "primer" pump. or primary fuel pump, is electric.  A lot of farm equipment uses the same pump, a simple little cube that sits there and merrily buzzes away.

It's been too long now, but IIRC, the n14 has no charge system. It is literally a mechanical suction.

I'm a work'n on it.