Electrical Connections

SuiteSuccess

In my issue with my truck recently, I replaced several ring terminals at the battery (12 gauge wire size).  Fortunately I had 5 nice Ancor heat shrink connectors but this is what I took off. I assume they are factory and were heat shrunk which obviously outlived it’s purpose as you can see from the corrosion.  However, the originals are copper, large contact surfaces, and quality. Anyone know where they might be available and if not, is Ancor the best, or Wirefy, or suggestions.  Ancor pricey!MxnVZU7l.jpg

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,

Try crimp supply. I buy just about all of my electrical connections from them. This link is for their ring terminals:

https://crimpsupply.com/connectors/ring-terminals

Edit: I use their Heavy Duty Heat Shrink Ring Terminals.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I have had really good luck with Wirefy for everything 10g and smaller. They seem to be consistent quality and the heat shrink seems to be sized right and will seal proper. Your mileage may vary, but as your picture shows, the ring out lasts the connection to the stranded wire.

There will always be better methods, but I usually refer to an old steam fitter friend that taught me to dope, tape'n dope pipe fittings. So when I replace wire any wire connections, including heat shrink covered ones, I strip the wire, then push the wire end into a tube of dielectric grease before crimping.

You likely already know these tips and tricks, but using the right wire stripper to eliminate cutting into the wire strands is important, as well as using a crimper that crushes the terminal onto the wire correctly will extend the service life of that connector greatly.

I tend to shy away from solder connections at the battery or for anything that may experience higher amp draw as the heat generated, and/or the heat absorbed in the battery box, can soften the solder and cause loose connection issues.

FWIW, just my opinion.

I'm a work'n on it.

14 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

I have had really good luck with Wirefy for everything 10g and smaller. They seem to be consistent quality and the heat shrink seems to be sized right and will seal proper. Your mileage may vary, but as your picture shows, the ring out lasts the connection to the stranded wire.

There will always be better methods, but I usually refer to an old steam fitter friend that taught me to dope, tape'n dope pipe fittings. So when I replace wire any wire connections, including heat shrink covered ones, I strip the wire, then push the wire end into a tube of dielectric grease before crimping.

You likely already know these tips and tricks, but using the right wire stripper to eliminate cutting into the wire strands is important, as well as using a crimper that crushes the terminal onto the wire correctly will extend the service life of that connector greatly.

I tend to shy away from solder connections at the battery or for anything that may experience higher amp draw as the heat generated, and/or the heat absorbed in the battery box, can soften the solder and cause loose connection issues.

FWIW, just my opinion.

Thanks everyone.  Deezl, I use dielectric grease also or Nolox.  I have a good stripper tool and some Channel Lock crimping pliers.  I know you get what you pay for but the Ancors are really expensive so they are reserved for jobs like this.  Saw the Wirefys and thought they would be good for other jobs.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 5/26/2023 at 11:32 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl,

Try crimp supply. I buy just about all of my electrical connections from them. This link is for their ring terminals:

https://crimpsupply.com/connectors/ring-terminals

Edit: I use their Heavy Duty Heat Shrink Ring Terminals.

Thanks David.  Watch out for the bears.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3