Registering a car in Florida, which is NOT located there and won't be in the foreseeable future. (Title with the lien holder)

Hi folks,

I have a fairly specific question and hope that someone already has experience with this.

Here’s what it is.

-          Starting full time June 1st

-          Florida address and DL established

-          RV FL reg. and title taken care of by dealer

-          Car (and us) currently located in California

-          Will make our way, “slowly” over to FL but that will take longer (min. 1 year+)

-          We currently are having a loan on that car, so the title is with the lender

-          I certainly can fly to FL, but the car is unfortunately not making the carry-on category

I found some information here:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/new-resident/

Besides filling out that form 82040, which I assume you need a semester of law school or alike to quite get what they’re asking for… but let not focus on that too much right now.

… so what I am trying to understand, what is the actual process.

Given above article does NOT state:

>> Verification of physical inspection of the motor vehicle’s vehicle identification number (VIN)<<

… under section “For vehicles with a lien”, am I assuming correctly that we do not have to get our vehicle to Florida to be physically looked at?

Also, in general, what has one to do to get it registered.

i.e.

- Call the bank to get the title transferred to Florida

- Fill out the form

- Show up at the FLHSMV office, hand over form and pay your fees (maybe an online option available?)

- Wait for the license plates to show up by mail

I would love to hear from someone who was in the same situation or knows someone who has gone through that process.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your feedback.
Tobi

We are also domiciled in FL with FL DL, etc.

I had to do this through a dealer in CO. I called the tax collector in Sumter County who explained everything to the dealer and they handled it.

If you call them a real person will answer the phone and walk you through it.

In our case, the dealer filled out the paperwork when we bought the car in CO. We sent a check to FL for the applicable taxes and they sent the plates to the dealer via USPS.

Thank you. 

Yeah, calling sounds actually like a good idea.

Nowadays, with all the automated systems, I don't even think this being a viable option anymore.

I guess, I will give it a try and see how that turns out.

Will report back how that would be, for a car not purchased.

• 1 month later...

When we went full time and switched domicile to Sumter Oaks the VIN's on the truck and fiver were physically inspected. For the truck we drove it to the Tax Collector's office in Bushnell. We called the Sumter County SO and a deputy came out, inspected the VIN on the fiver and signed off. We took that form with us to the TC office when we registered the truck. Pretty hard to do from somewhere else.

Wayne

Edited by Jinx & Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

8 hours ago, Jinx &amp; Wayne said:

When we went full time and switched domicile to Sumter Oaks the VIN's on the truck and fiver were physically inspected. For the truck we drove it to the Tax Collector's office in Bushnell. We called the Sumter County SO and a deputy came out, inspected the VIN on the fiver and signed off. We took that form with us to the TC office when we registered the truck. Pretty hard to do from somewhere else.

Wayne

Would the sign off need to be done by a LEO local to the place of registration or could it be done elsewhere?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I can't speak for Florida but in Colorado I have had vin inspections done by the local police dept and by a auto dealer.  If the vehicle is sold by a dealer or inspected by a dealer even an out of state dealer a local inspection wasn't needed.  May be worth checking into.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift