Anyone stayed at the Cleveland County RV Park in Norman, OK?

lappir

It's at the county Fairgrounds. I have visited a couple times for the local "Farmers Market" and remember seeing several RV's. It looks like they have some new slots, but Google maps measure them at around 45 ft.  Plan to visit my daughter in Norman in a couple weeks and considered Lake Thunderbird, but haven't done more than an early morning drive through of a couple parks that did not have RV sites. Most of the photos I can find to measure have lots of trees in full foliage so it's hard to know if my measurement is good. 

Thanks in advance. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

No but... Norman has both a Waffle House and a Cracker Barrel which are two of my favorite places to eat. That Waffle House is the last one on my snowbird trip back north so I always stopped there. I miss Waffle House. We do have a Cracker Barrel about an hour's drive from here so we go there once every few years. I get the roast beef dinner with three sides and package up half in a go box before I start to eat--two meals for the price of one. :) Enjoy your visit with your daughter.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We stayed there a couple of years ago. Nothing special. It is a parking lot, but spaces aren't well marked. There was plenty of room for our 40' MH and towed.

Someone had ordered a meal delivered, and the delivery driver just left the bags of food on a flat surface by the bulletin board. As I recall, they put the site number on the bags. NOT a great idea!

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We've stayed at many fairgrounds and all seemed to have big sites.  People stay there with long horse trailers so they need long sites.  We found them good places to stay when there's nothing big going on.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We stayed there a couple of years ago. Nothing special. It is a parking lot, but spaces aren't well marked. There was plenty of room for our 40' MH and towed.

Checking it on Google Maps it looks pretty much like you describe. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Might want to call them. It appears Norman got hit by another tornado over the weekend...

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Hi! 

The county fairgrounds may be an option, but it's worth noting that not all fairgrounds allow overnight RV parking. It would be a good idea to contact the fairgrounds directly to confirm that they allow overnight RV parking and to check availability.

Lake Thunderbird is a popular spot for RV camping, but it's possible that some of the campgrounds may not have sites available. It's always a good idea to check ahead and make a reservation if possible.

Another option to consider is the Oklahoma City East KOA campground, which is located about 25 miles north of Norman. This campground has RV sites with full hookups, as well as a pool, playground, and other amenities.

Regardless of where you decide to stay, it's important to confirm availability and make a reservation if possible. RV parks and campgrounds can fill up quickly, especially during peak travel times.

Thanks for the replies. I will be leaving tomorrow, but won't be making a reservation just yet. My daughter lives in Norman and her home was damaged by the storm. She, her roommate and felines are all OK, but the neighborhood is quite damaged. She said a few windows were broken and the fence was destroyed at their home. 

I'm not too worried about all the parks and campgrounds being full this time of the year. I do have a back up plan, just don't want to be that far away. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

9 hours ago, lappir said:

My daughter lives in Norman and her home was damaged by the storm.

We have had a lot of news coverage of the damage here in the D/FW area so will be thinking of her and the neighbors there. The weather is looking pretty iffy for Wednesday & Thursday so be careful and stay safe! 

On 2/28/2023 at 7:04 AM, Kirk W said:

We have had a lot of news coverage of the damage here in the D/FW area so will be thinking of her and the neighbors there. The weather is looking pretty iffy for Wednesday & Thursday so be careful and stay safe! 

I arrived last night at 0300. As much as I thought I could be ready to go at a moments notice I've found it takes me the same time to do what's needed done  no matter if I'm in a hurry or not in a hurry. Sort of like taking multiple different roads from one place to another. It's going to be the same distance so it will take the same amount of time. The scenery will just be different. 

I arrived at my daughters home just after 8am this morning and suddenly realized all the news coverage from the storm, most likely was taken from her backyard. The Red Jeep turned over on top of another car was still there just East of their home across a residential street. How the two homes were literally destroyed and while damaged, my daughter and her roommates are hosting dinner tonight while the neighbors will most likely not ever return to their homes. 

I'm uploading a YouTube from this morning. Haven't watched yet, but may link it here. 

Have a spot at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds. They have plenty most of the time. A lot are just power and water and most with only 30amp service, but I found one pole with 2 30's and a 50. Might post a photo of it later. The newer "Camping area" is fine for a 30 ft. rig and tow vehicle, but not close at all to being large enough for me to park.  Everyone I have met so far have been very friendly and helpful. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Here is my walk around Wednesday morning after getting the call "I'm OK" on Sunday evening as 2200 hrs. 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Oh my!  That's heartbreaking.  I did see the home across the street with the upturned car on the news.  She was right in the heart of it.  Hopefully, insurance will help.  Where did you end up staying?  There might be claim adjusters in town taking up some spaces.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, lappir said:

I arrived at my daughters home just after 8am this morning and suddenly realized all the news coverage from the storm, most likely was taken from her backyard.

I think that most people have to see things like that up close to really understand what it can do. I have helped with the cleanup from tornadoes several times, once just a block from our house and several others but the time that it really hit home for me was in Van, TX in May 2015 when I helped to salvage and cleanup the property where a couple we knew well had died in the destruction of their home. I will never again view such reports the same as I did before that. Our thoughts and our best wishes go out to you, your kids, and everyone in Norman.

Edited by Kirk W

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

My friend who lived in Norman died recently and I am glad she is not one coping with this now. I wish you and your family well.

Linda

Very sorry for your loss. 

Got a glimpse at some of the other damage today. It's more widespread than I thought.  It was nice that there were very few injuries and no reported deaths. 

I will say the Norman Police Department has done a great job about being there without being intrusive. I stopped on my way out tonight to thank one of the officers in his patrol vehicle and I'll do more as I see them over the next days. My daughter is spending her first night back in the home since the storm and of course there was a late afternoon/early evening thunderstorm. I'm only 8 minutes away tonight. Much closer than the over 8 hour drive I did earlier in the week. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

10 hours ago, lappir said:

and of course there was a late afternoon/early evening thunderstorm.

We had some storm damage last night here in the D/FW area but no reported injuries. Most of the damage was around west Ft Worth and we are in a far east suburb of Dallas so nothing was very close to us. The nearest was an Amazon warehouse center that lost part of it's roof about 10 miles to the south of us. We did get a lot of high wind and pelting rain but it didn't last very long. I hope that front broke up before it hit the folks in Norman! 

It did. I took a trip around the area today and out to Lake Thunderbird. I decided to stay at the Fairgrounds before heading out to the lake and am glad I did. There were a lot of spots open but they are tiny and most with only 30amp service. I require 50amp for my mini split for now. 

Found a lot more storm damage. Thankfully the storm move through at about 60 mph (Covered 26 miles in 26 minutes) instead of taking its sweet time like the Cat 5 many years ago. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800