Which Toad And Tow Set Up If You Were Us

It seems the more I read the more confused I get = ain't that the truth with sometimes information overload!    The time has come where we have to seriously consider adding a toad to our arsenal and we still haven't a clue what our best option would be.   So if this were you what would you opt for make, model, any specific years and why?

Have a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind 37ft long Workhorse Chassis W22?  Checked our weights and are under when fully loaded with tanks etc and have tow hitch under 5000lbs.

Have read it is advisable to be under 80% of the rated tow capacity so that leaves us with around 4,000lbs or less.

Whichever vehicle we end up towing our main priority is we don't want to have to be jumping through multiple check hoops (fear missing something and damaging toad exponentially) as it appears some go through to avoid major damage to their toads.

So we want something light, ultra error free to hook up often (we are travellers not sitters), capable to transport our Kayaks and fishing rods.   Comfortable as our daily driver albeit wouldn't be over very very long distances so easily under 100 miles.

Which is the better tow set up system and what "must have" accessories and why would we also need added for safety/protection.

We have been drawn to the Jeep for a very long time as a toad, but with so many reports even in 2022 models of the death wobble and their so called recall fixes not working often it is concerning us somewhat.

Really would value your input as to what you would choose bearing in mind weight and needs with your experiences being long time RVers towing yourselves.   We have a ford escape for past 13 years that's perfect but even though brochure said flat towable we know it's not from others having transmission problems.

Thanks ya'll for sharing your thoughts and reasonings.

STBFT

When we were considering a towed vehicle, one of those we looked at was the Jeep Wrangler and after a test drive we dropped it from consideration. There are other Jeep models that can be towed but be careful of the weights. We gave up the motorhome life several years ago so have not kept up well on which unit can be towed but the ultimate rule should be the owner's manual of whatever vehicle you choose as that should address proper towing. It used to be that REMCO sold equipment to easily modify many vehicles to enable towing on their wheels but they have dropped that business. Curt Towing Equipment has a towing guide that may be helpful. You will also need a base-plate and tow-bar for the vehicle that you choose and there are several manufacturers of them, with Blue Ox and Roadmaster pretty much leading the pack for reputation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk appreciate that.   Yep our 2010 Escape owners manual said it was flat towable, but many many folks had issues I recall flat towing them with transmissions and then Ford said they weren't, so naturally looking at what those gone ahead of us towing have or not had issues with.   I've heard of some folks towing the newer escapes lately but ????   

We also have read of some folks having to jump through so many hoops for hooking up to avoid damage, and being that we don't spend a long length of time (that of course may change) in one location we want as easy a hook up and go option as possible.   The other thing is concerns over the death wobble issues = we don't want a vehicle that's going to spend more time trying to get sorted than used or worse still if out of warranty costs added to boot.

Of the Roadmaster and Blue Ox, what are the pros and cons of each?   Is one better than the other or either or doesn't matter?

Decisions, decisions, decisions eh?

If you can handle the slightly rougher ride of a Wrangler, along with the fuel mileage, I think you'll find the "Death Wobble" to be over-rated. It's causes are known, and easily remedied, if people are willing to listen. They're easy to put into "Tow" mode, and just as easy to return to driving.
You need to look in the mirror, and be honest with yourself. There's a lot of better vehicles, where better means lighter, quieter, or more fuel efficient, but they're not a Jeep. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I've visited the Jeep Wrangler forum quite a bit and never saw death wobble as a problem like you describe.
I think most (or at least "many") Jeep owner add lift kits and over-sized tires.  There-in could lie alignment problems.
My Jeep Rubicon has both, lift and tires, but never a death wobble.  And I've towed it many thousands of miles.

And I've run with an off-road Wranglers group down super washboard roads at speed - enough to beat the living daylights out of the Jeep.  Still no death wobble.

That said, the Wrangler is not my favorite for comfort.  I've been looking at the Jeep Trailhawk with Active Drive II which allows for flat towing - and it has more of a town-car comfort.  If you're not planning on hard core off roading, then you might take a look at the Trailhawk.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Blue Ox and Roadmaster are equally popular. The thing to be sure of is "all terrain". You do not want to have to be straight and level to hook/unhook.

We towed a 2010 Honda CRV but we did have a small hoop to jump through to prepare for towing.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Darryl, Rich and Linda, Thank you for your perspectives.   Just spoken with a local hitch shop, and quoted around C$5000+/- $500 to get baseplate, tow bars, brake assist etc (they use Blue Ox, but can get Roadmaster Nighthawk for extra $400ish).   Week or so lead time to install if vehicle under 6 or 7 years old for older vehicles might take up to 8 weeks lead-time.   All's good in that dept and for sure would opt for non-binding and brake away plus two hitch locks and a cover as extra.   Ironically they said it's been mainly on the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee for the death wobble not the wranglers so much, albeit the youtube I watched was a 2022 wrangler wobble and unresolved after several trips back into the shop.   Thanks Rich for your insight on the probability being real low to get a vehicle with that.

The Wrangler does appeal to us for many reasons, albeit whilst I like comfort drive in general I can tolerate short distances a little rough being  farming gal.  LOL.

Thanks again to you all :)

22 hours ago, folivier said:

So they're charging you $2000++ for labor? Glad I did my own. 2 Jeep Liberty's, 2 Chevy trucks, 1 Tahoe, 1 Lexus. Not a difficult job if you're handy.

I did a complete tow package install on my Rubicon.  Proportional braking system, baseplate, wiring harness, etc. etc. and it was a lot of work.  I estimated my labor charge would have been $1000. (9 years ago).
I guess I work for cheap.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I agree with JustRich..... look for a used Jeep Trailhawk (or new but new cars are soooo expensive).  They are very fine vehicles and will easily get your kayaks and fishing gear to the backcountry.  CarMax has some available.  We had a good experience with them.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Will be looking at the Jeep Trailhawk and reviews = thank you.   Absolutely we would buy gently used not new.   Our 13 year old current vehicle was bought 6 months old with teeny mileage and sadly not towable.

Also we are quite handy and willing to learn just nervous with doing something different, will next be looking for YouTube on installs  LOL.

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

just nervous with doing something different,

That is understandable and caution when learning is a good thing. As I look back, I had very much the same feelings when we began to tow a vehicle. The thing which surprised me most was just how easy the actual towing par is. While the hooking up does require some specific steps, depending on what vehicle you tow and what equipment you use, the actual travel while towing is almost no different from driving the motorhome without the vehicle behind. When you tow using a tow-bar, the vehicle that you tow will always track inside of the tracks of the motorhome because it is not as wide and it is coupled so close behind. In normal travel it will take just a little more to stop and start but not much. It does add to your overall length so you do need to remember that but it will have no effect on your turning radius at all. If you could make a turn somewhere that would leave only your tracks, you would see that the tracks of the towed are inside of the tracks left by the rear wheels of the motorhome at all times. I do advise the use of an auxiliary braking system for the towed vehicle, especially for situations that require an rapid or emergency stop as the added weight does cause a significant increase in stopping distance. If you drive such that you usually coast to a stop at traffic lights and stop signs, you will hardly notice any change. It is also important to plan ahead as you approach fuel stations and parking locations as you can't safely back up with the towed car attached. In a worst case, it only takes a few minutes to disconnect and back the two separately and I suspect that most of us who have towed very much have done that at least a time or two. Without question, the #1 problem that you will need to overcome is the mental part as the other steps are easy.

You will be surprised at how easy a car tows behind a motorhome.  You won't even know it's there.  Same goes for hooking it up - very easy.  At first, make yourself an index card with the hooking up steps and keep it in your car to use every time you do so until you're confident in remembering the steps... or ... always use it just to be sure.  Just like everything - the more you do it the easier it becomes.  We could not imagine RVing without having a vehicle to get around. Much less worry about traffic, parking, siteseeing ease, etc.  You'll love it!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Am I correct that towing typically will increase the gas consumed by 1/2 mile per gallon?

That does vary depending on the RV and the towed, but you would be pretty safe to figure somewhere between 1/2 and 1 mpg of decrease. It isn't very significant most of the time but will be greater if you have a lot of steep climbs or heavy traffic and less in flat, open country.