Can "Escapees" provide a Nevada address?

Jim Nevada

I've lived in Nevada for 22 years in a home. I'm going to sell the house in a few years and go live in my van for awhile. Since I'm already domiciled in Nevada and there's tons of BLM land I thought why leave. I'm not interested in going camping in another state. I'm on Medicaid now and it's no good out of state. With Medicaid you have to let it go before you can apply for Medicaid again in another state and then it takes about 3 months to be approved.

I'm just hoping Escapees can provide address for my drivers license in Nevada. If they can in a few years I will use all of the Escapees services.

Thanks!

The simple answer is no. The Escapees Address service has TX, FL, and SD. I believe that NV does allow you to use a mail service address for your driver's license and vehicle registrations but I suggest that you check with the NV-DMV to be sure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, Nevada allows you to use a mail service as a base for your domicile. There is at least one in Pahrump used by lots of Nevada-based nomads. It's called Mail, Messages and More.

http://nvmailforwarding.com

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I haven't found anything yet that states Nevada allows a mail service on drivers licenses. All I found on the DMV site is they want your permanent address which I guess and it's just a guess can mean a mail service. 

I'm not going to call them, write or email them about it because they can track those encounters back to me and that may no go well for me when I go live in my van.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:21 PM, sandsys said:

Yes, Nevada allows you to use a mail service as a base for your domicile. There is at least one in Pahrump used by lots of Nevada-based nomads. It's called Mail, Messages and More.

http://nvmailforwarding.com

Linda

Hi Linda, I'm not looking for domicile because I've been living in Nevada for 22 years. I do know that to be domicile in Nevada you have to rent a place even a spot at an RV park for 30 then take the rent receipt to the DMV.

I'm talking about an address I can put on my drivers license. I guess I can do the RV park thing and just have that address on my license. I would use a mail service address on my drivers license if it would not get me in trouble but most mail services are business locations and having a business location on your drivers license in Nevada is not allowed at all. If I could find a mail service that was residential zoned I'd probably be OK.

I learned alot in the past few days from non stop research but it's not enough. I'm just an hour away from Pahrump and studying the town.

1 hour ago, Jim Nevada said:

I'm not going to call them, write or email them about it because they can track those encounters back to me and that may no go well for me when I go live in my van.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 and 483.141 "Resident" defined.

1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.

Why not visit a public library and email them your questions?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Short answer is no, mail forwarding can't be used as a residential address because it's a commercial business address, not residential. 

Longer answer:  If you want a Real ID license that lets you use it for things like air travel, the residential address you supply (such as the 30 day campground receipt) becomes the address printed on your drivers license.  This is a Federal requirement and can become an issue if you have an accident or another encounter with law enforcement and they can't reach you at that address.

If you're not getting a Real ID license you can have your mailing address printed on  your Nevada drivers license instead of the physical address.  But you still need a residential address when you apply for or renew the license.

The residential address is established by at least two of the supporting documents listed on the Nevada DMV site such as a 30 day campground receipt and a utility bill or bank statement at that address.  I am a leaseholder in the Pair-A-Dice co-op and my receipt for the quarterly maintenance fee and a 30 day electric bill issued by the park covered these requirements when I retired and made it my domicile 5 years ago. When I received a renew by mail notice earlier this year the form merely asked if I was still a Nevada resident and if there were any changes to my address.

The Pahrump DMV office is friendly and liberal in interpreting the Nevada residency laws, at least it was 5 years ago.  You have to be established in or moving to Nye County to use it, they had too many people coming here to get around the long lines at the Clark County (Las Vegas) DMV offices.

I use Mail Link on Rainbow Blvd in Las Vegas for my mail forwarding because they have online access, the Pahrump mail forwarder makes you call in and do everything over the phone.

Also, most insurance companies need a "garage location" where the vehicle is based, another complication if you're in an accident and they determine you no longer reside at the address on the policy.

Edited by Lou Schneider