What's next for Windows: Sweeping new strategy for cloud, ads, devices?

RV_

I do not like this at all. So I guess I have until 2025 if not sooner to set up Linux on my backup systems and then try it on my all in one touch systems.

I have tried Apple once and that lasted about an hour before I had to take a couple of hours to get them to delete my ID and my data after they over the phone read me ten minutes of declarations that I may lose stuff without an ID that I bought and paid for from them.

Excerpt:

"In April this year, Windows officials talked about plans to more tightly integrate Windows 365 and Windows. So far, they've delivered on one of their promises: A preview of the Windows 365 app that Windows 11 users can pin to their taskbars and Start menus to more easily access their cloud PCs. But Microsoft officials have much bigger plans for Windows 365 and seemingly are counting on it keep Windows relevant, even if the PC industry declines in the coming months and years.

As many users have noticed, Microsoft increasingly has been squeezing ads into everything from the new Windows 11 search box to the Edge browser (and its other apps). So perhaps it's not too surprising that Microsoft management is pitching Windows as a vehicle for delivering ads -- both first-party Microsoft "house" ads and third-party ads, as CEO Satya Nadella himself acknowledged during Microsoft's Q1 FY'23 earnings call. (Thanks to Paul Thurrott for pointing this out on Windows Weekly last week.)

Microsoft made its Windows 365/Cloud PC service (codenamed Deschutes) generally available in August of 2021. Windows 365 is a cloud-based virtualization service that builds on top of and complements Azure Virtual Desktop. Windows 365 is for business users only at this point and costs anywhere from $20 to $162 per user per month based on cores, RAM and storage. But given that the Windows 365 Business SKU can scale down to businesses with only one employee, it's not too surprising that Microsoft officials already are thinking about how to deliver Windows 365 for consumers."

Source:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-next-for-windows-cloud-integration-ad-and-subscription-powered-devices/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}

So it appears Microsoft is heading down the same road they took with MS Office and I am totally at home with LibreOffice now because of that. I can move away from MS Office just fine. I only recently went back to using Outlook as my mail client. It is time to move on again. I am retired and no longer using MS for military or any work. 

Folks who have to run old programs can do that on an offline never connected to the Internet system.

This may cause a larger than expected migration away from Windows in 2025.

I also refuse to wear clothes that advertise the brands without paying me to advertise for them. Jeans and T-shirts can be had with quality as good or better than the ones only advertising I am fool enough to pay to show off I have more money to waste. Or that I am in with the in crowd with Justin Bieber types and all the other "Merch" businesses that have sprung up over the years.

I don't need a Windows Logo every time I turn on my system either.

With the looming opportunity I am surprised we don't have more systems, Linux based or otherwise com ing out now so some folks can experiment and get comfortable for a year or three before giving Apple or Microsoft the old heave Ho!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

16 hours ago, RV_ said:

With the looming opportunity I am surprised we don't have more systems, Linux based or otherwise com ing out now so some folks can experiment and get comfortable for a year or three before giving Apple or Microsoft the old heave Ho!

I think is going to require a multi-front push. First, one or two the of the major paid Linux distros needs to get one or more computer manufacturers to offer Linux on the lower priced or entry level computers. For example if I go to Dell and search "Linux laptops" it brings up a lot of systems which I presume can run Linux in their estimation, however, only those system priced at over $1K offer Ubuntu as a factory install. Second, there needs to be a push to inform the public about the benefits of Linux over Windows in places other than computer oriented media. Third, there needs to be more television advertising. I have seen TV ads, Red Hat I think, but not recently and probably could be counted on one hand.  Fourth, businesses that use Linux on their backend (servers) need to quit paying for Windows on the front end and use Linux desktop distros for all the employees.

Once the general public becomes more informed I think Windows and Apple can be pushed aside or at least their influence reduced.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Gary,

I think you misunderstood my post. I was not promoting Linux, but mentioning that there are many more than even the 12 I outline below that are Unix Based and FreeBSD based as well as DOS-like systems.

This was the important topic, not Linux:

From my post above –

As many users have noticed, Microsoft increasingly has been squeezing ads into everything from the new Windows 11 search box to the Edge browser (and its other apps). So perhaps it's not too surprising that Microsoft management is pitching Windows as a vehicle for delivering ads -- both first-party Microsoft "house" ads and third-party ads, as CEO Satya Nadella himself acknowledged during Microsoft's Q1 FY'23 earnings call. (Thanks to Paul Thurrott for pointing this out on Windows Weekly last week.)

Microsoft made its Windows 365/Cloud PC service (codenamed Deschutes) generally available in August of 2021. Windows 365 is a cloud-based virtualization service that builds on top of and complements Azure Virtual Desktop. Windows 365 is for business users only at this point and costs anywhere from $20 to $162 per user per month based on cores, RAM and storage. But given that the Windows 365 Business SKU can scale down to businesses with only one employee, it's not too surprising that Microsoft officials already are thinking about how to deliver Windows 365 for consumers."

I meant in this thread to bemoan the lack of promotion and development for Windows alternatives before 2025 when all Windows users worldwide, without newer systems, will have to invest in new hardware and buy new Windows boxes. Or have to load and learn another operating system and likely programs like dropping Word for Libre Office. Even worse that Windows is morphing into a charged for subscription itself and cause us to migrate to the cloud for computing with just thin clients with the processing power left in the cloud machines we will then be forced to use. Most will just go along and pay for cloud storage and MS Office/tools/apps. Windows 11 and the almost forced use of OneDrive as the default as a default is only the start.

While Linux is familiar to most, there are many more.

With the turn to Windows becoming “ADWARE” itself, not just the websites we go to, so far I am very disappointed.

So it was about why we are not seeing more articles and tech guides and development to alternative OS’s with the upcoming end of support for Windows 10 and the evolution of Windows to a locked down adware delivery system we pay annual fees or monthly for or can’t play anymore. That was the topic here, not Linux.

Here are 12 alternatives links to each in the source article:

Excerpt:

“12 Free Alternatives to Windows Operating Systems

By Christian Cawley

Updated Feb 14, 2022

Does Windows cost too much? Here are several free alternative operating systems. Linux is just the beginning!

Need a new operating system that doesn't cost a penny? You might have heard about Linux, the free and open source alternative to Windows. However, there are many other free operating systems for laptops and desktop PCs.

Capable of performing standard computer tasks, these free operating systems are strong alternatives to Windows.

1. Linux: The Best Windows Alternative

2. Chromium OS

In some ways this is another obvious choice. Chromium OS is the operating system that Google's Chrome OS is based on and is available to download free. It's also suitable for installing on aging hardware.

3. FreeBSD: The Free Operating System That Isn’t Linux

Many think that FreeBSD is just another Linux distribution. While sharing the Unix-like roots of Linux, FreeBSD is the modern, open source version of the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD). FreeBSD can be considered a relative of Linux and its code can be found in many places. These include Apple's macOS and Sony's PlayStation 4 operating systems.

4. FreeDOS: Free Disk Operating System Based on MS-DOS

Most modern operating systems are built around the concept of multitasking. FreeDOS is different. This DOS-compatible OS is as different from Windows as it's possible to get---FreeDOS is based on Windows' predecessor, MS-DOS.

5. illumos, a Free OS for PC

Another UNIX-based free Windows alternative OS, illumos is based on OpenSolaris, an operating system abandoned by Oracle in 2009. Based on BSD and System V Release 4 (SVR4), the illumos core is the heart of many OpenSolaris forks.

6. ReactOS, The Free Windows Clone Operating System

If talk of the alternatives being Linux and UNIX is leaving you on edge, consider ReactOS as your Windows alternative.

Originally launched in 1996 as a Windows 95 clone project, the official website states that "the ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows and install ReactOS without the end user noticing the change."

7. Long-Running Free OS Haiku

Haiku is free and open source and was first released in 2001. Since then, this free operating system has been in continuous development and runs various apps. Some you will have heard of, like VLC Media Player, and Quake. Haiku will also run many apps from the abandoned BeOS operating system.

8. MorphOS: an Alternative OS for Old Macs

MorphOS is an Amiga-like operating system, based on the 80s/90s home computer and available for PowerPC and similar devices. While the chances of an old Windows PC having a PowerPC processor are small, old Macs will run MorphOS.

9. A Free Alternative Operating System: AROS

AROS is a free operating system with a similar heritage to MorphOS but designed for x86 systems. This means that it should be able to run on your PC. In some ways, your PC or laptop turns into a modern-day Amiga computer, capable of running old and new software.

10. MenuetOS

Available for 32-bit and 64-bit hardware, MenuetOS is a free operating system that can be installed from a single floppy disk. Just to clarify, that's a single floppy disk of 1.4MB.

Incredibly, it includes a full GUI desktop, a browser, media player, and spreadsheet pre-installed. Built with Assembly language, MenuetOS also features support for USB webcams, and handles resolutions up to 1920x1080 (16 million colors).

11. PrimeOS: A Free Android OS for PC

Google has been developing Android and Chrome OS towards a convergence of operating systems in recent years. Thanks to the addition of mouse and keyboard support, Android is becoming increasingly useful as a desktop operating system.

And thanks to some independent developers, Android is available as a free download for 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

The benefits of using Android as your free Windows alternative are clear. After Windows, it is the most-used operating system on the planet. Apps for Android are everywhere, and you're probably already using at least one.

12. One of the Oldest Alternatives to Windows: RISC OS

Finally, for ARM-based computers (everything from Raspberry Pi to BeagleBoard) is RISC OS.

While a little basic in some regards, RISC OS provides the user with a functional desktop experience. All the apps you need to be productive are available, from word processors to image editors. It's an unusual operating system, as different from Windows as Linux is, but worth trying if you need a free operating system.

RISC OS is developed by RISCOS Ltd and the RISC OS Open Community.

A new version of RISC OS, Cloverleaf, is in development.

Which Of These OS' Are Freely Available to Install Today?

All the operating systems in this article are free, easy to find, and straightforward to install alternatives to Windows. To recap:

1. Linux (the best free OS)

2. Chrome OS

3. FreeBSD

4. FreeDOS

5. Illumos

6. ReactOS

7. Haiku

8. MorphOS

9. AROS

10. MenuetOS

11. Android

12. RISC OS

Not all will suit your specific requirements, but we're certain you'll find a new OS you can grow to like. Are you having trouble choosing from all these options? We can help you choose the right operating system for your next PC.

And if you're interested in seeing how operating systems have evolved over the years, check out these classic operating systems you can access in your browser.”

Each OS with links to their websites and download pages, as well as screenshots and related links and more are in the source article here: 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-alternatives-to-windows-operating-systems/

There are more but those are the best free OS alternatives ready to load up on any x86 Computer originally a Windows Box and a Mac alternative too.

All of the above would likely run on an Intel Mac/MacBook as well but not on the ARM architecture iOS which is a cell phone operating system that has evolved with the iPad to the point Apple is just now making their own chips for it. Apple is also starting to use them and that  iPhone iOS modified to run all their systems – iPads, iPhones, MacBooks and Mac desktops, starting with the MacBook on their own chips. I am no Apple expert but have briefly read about the changes they are going through again.

Right now only Windows has both a desktop and a tablet form factor both of which run the same Windows programs so no Apps were needed. But Microsoft is also, with the Surface X, experimenting with a lighter version of Windows to run on ARM architecture as well.

Big decisions and changes to Windows between now and 2025 and I don’t like some of them already. We will just have to wait and see.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I think you misunderstood my post. I was not promoting Linux

No, I did not misunderstand, but I was the one promoting Linux as I think it is the most viable of all those listed as a Windows alternative. 

I don't use Edge and won't in Windows 11 unless Microsoft makes it so that I can't use others. I do use Office 365 right now, thanks to my son-in-law I am a tag along on his subscription, and I like it. I use Outlook about once a week to organize my email as I find it's rule making function the easiest for me to use. I do not like it for daily use though, maybe too many years having to use it for business? When I run across websites that tell me I have disable my ad blocker to use it, I just move along to some other site.

34 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

No, I did not misunderstand, but I was the one promoting Linux as I think it is the most viable of all those listed as a Windows alternative. 

Derek asks: Which Linux version do you use Gary and why do you want to promote it?

I do use Office 365 right now, thanks to my son-in-law I am a tag along on his subscription, and I like it.

Derek replies: Gary they are talking about using 365 as in enterprise with that version which operates in the cloud and is not loaded on your computer any more than you load this forum on your computer, it is in the cloud and we just access it there on their servers. For that Windows as a service you don't need a full computer just a thin client. That version is not available to consumers yet and that is what the article is about. Have you used a thin client cloud system yet?

Thanks for your input Gary.

My three Office 2016 licenses run out in 2026 and my three MS Office 2019 in 2029. I have used Libre Office enough to not even worry as it is the same as Office minus Outlook. I have not used the current version of Thunderbird yet but it and Proton secure email clients are high on my list. I do have Proton secure email as well as Brave secure browser and Nord VPN.

Maybe I will be here and love the new Windows. This is not talking about the Office 365 you are sharing, Office 365 Family that you can share with 5 family members and loads locally on your machine. This is about doing what they do to businesses now to consumers as well.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

Thanks for your input Gary.

My three Office 2016 licenses run out in 2026 and my three MS Office 2019 in 2029. I have used Libre Office enough to not even worry as it is the same as Office minus Outlook. I have not used the current version of Thunderbird yet but it and Proton secure email clients are high on my list. I do have Proton secure email as well as Brave secure browser and Nord VPN.

Maybe I will be here and love the new Windows. This is not talking about the Office 365 you are sharing, Office 365 Family that you can share with 5 family members and loads locally on your machine. This is about doing what they do to businesses now to consumers as well.

I have been messing around with Ubuntu but I have ordered several USB memory sticks so I can load other distributions. I am particularly interested in the Windowsfx. I too use a VPN at times, I would use it all the time but there is one website that I assist admining and it WILL NOT let me log in using a VPN, at least with the VPN I use (CyberGhost 8 VPN) and I have been unable to figure out why. The Office 365 can be loaded to run locally but it is not necessary at least with the version he has. I think he may have more of a commercial version as he is a server design engineer.

I have not yet dipped my toe into Windows 11 although the wife is after me to get another computer up and running that is currently residing in a box that she wants gone.