Travel trailer towing with F150, 3.5L EcoBoost and Tow Max package?

TXiceman

We are settling down from full time and selling the rig but still plan to travel with a smaller trailer and gas truck.  Been looking at a 8000# GVWR travel trailer and using a new Ford F150 with the Tow Max and 3.5L EcoBoost.  Just wondering who might be running such a rig.

We won't be taking long trips or to the mountains.  Be nice to hear from someone with the truck.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

10 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Be nice to hear from someone with the truck.

I have a friend who bought the 2015 version, F150 EcoBoost and he tows a 26' Grand Design Imagine that has a GVWR of 6695# and has been quite pleased with it. I don't know what the MPG is but he tells me that it gets good fuel mileage driving it alone and when towing the RV it will pass most anything except a gas station. He still owns both but isn't fulltime and is employed so only uses it for a month or two each year.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've owned three Eco-Boosts. 2012, 2015, and now a 2020.  As a recently retired farmer, they've seen their share of trailer towing.  I loved the 6 spd. trannies in the '12 and '15, the new 10 spd, not so much.  It works well towing, but is way too "busy" and jerky in light operation.  Most people like them.  I get up to 25 mpg highway at 65-70ish, and about 14 mpg pulling a box trailer similar in size to a small camper.  Speed makes a big difference.

One thing to watch is that pesky Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating.  My current truck weighs right at 7,200# with full fuel and a passenger.  4wd, fancy interiors, crew cab, optional 36 gallon tank, all add weight to the vehicle that should be considered.  That said, I've pulled a 2,500# trailer loaded with 9,000# of seed with mine, but on secondary roads and short distances.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The few folks I have talked with that have an EcoBoost were quite pleased with them.  Like any engine, it takes power to tote a trailer and the power comes from gasoline exploding in the cylinders.  More power equals more gasoline used.

I know I will need to closely watch the truck configuration so that I do not get into a weight issue.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

While I'm well under your anticipated trailer size, I tow a 5000 pound trailer with a 2018 3.5EB with basic tow package.  21MPH highway unhooked, 12 - 13MPG towing.  42,000 miles towing so far and no problems other than having the cam phaser replacement done under warrantee at 30K.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I really loved my F150.  My trailer is also smaller/lighter than what you are looking at, but I know several that are towing trailers up to about 7-7500 lbs.  I never had an issue with power, and would probably still own it, but I ran out of payload.  My trailer has a tongue weight of 700-750 lbs and I did very well - until I sold the house.  Then even though I tried not to, I added enough weight to the truck to go over its GVWR - my truck was a Lariat and had just over 1700 lbs payload.  When I’ve compared notes with others who own various F150 models, the payload can vary between 1300 to 2000, depending on trim level and other features.

The Ford power towing mirrors are a separate item, not included with the max tow package.  That was a must-have item for me and the only F150s in California that had them also had really heavy options like moonroofs and extendable running boards, or were in a high enough trim package that payload was going to be limited.  I ended up special ordering my truck.

12 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

or were in a high enough trim package that payload was going to be limited.

That happened to us on this current truck.  I ordered my first two, with an eye on keeping trim, and cost, within reason.  Both were basic Lariat trim with only a couple little add on's, including tow packages.  But when we went looking this last time, they were getting pretty scarce, orders were a year out, and all we could find that checked the boxes was a King Ranch, loaded of course.  Thank heavens I have a son-in-law who is pretty high up at a Ford dealer.

Watch for the little "gotchas" that add up.  Nearly all the trucks we looked at had the hitch, brake controller, mirrors, and large fuel tank listed separately, but only a couple had the big tow package ordered to get all those things in a lower price.  Big difference in price.

Now we have a very comfortable truck that's nearly maxxed out with us in the saddles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net