Leaf spring clamp

hemsteadc

I found a crack in what I guess is called a leaf spring clamp.  There's a couple of them, they're both loose and they don't appear to be 'clamping' anything.  Is this something to be ignored or a dire emergency?  It's difficult to get a good picture but I hope this will suffice.

rvspring.jpg

The leaf clamps are for shipping and installation to keep the leafs parallel. They are not needed after installation. 

I have wire brushed cleaned my springs and brush painted them satin black which looks nicer. On occasion I have even oiled the leafs which helps them run quieter and maybe last longer. (no evidence, just theory)

Those are pretty thin metal, easy to fatigue and crack.

My experience with leaf springs comes from a series of 1st generation IH Scouts, mostly stock, some mildly built up.  I have seen leafs start to drift out of parallel with out the holder, but that was over some rough backcountry roads.   I don't know what the likelihood of rv springs rotating out would be.

For my RV, I'll maintain the clamps in place, easy to pick up from a 4x4 shop and replace broken or worn ones.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"