Route suggestions from Ft. Stockton, TX to Maverick Ranch RV Park (near Big Bend National Park)

brunsje

We are heading to Maverick Ranch RV Park, Lajitas, TX from Ft. Stockton (off I-10) in mid-March.  Has anyone driven this route before?  We have a 45' Rig and tow a pickup, so are 70' long driving down the road.  We are 13'6" high.  Should we use US-67 south or US-385 south to get to TX-118 (then TX-170)?  Or is there a better option?

Thank you.

Edited by brunsje
Addition

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

2 hours ago, brunsje said:

We are heading to Maverick Ranch RV Park, Lajitas, TX from Ft. Stockton (off I-10) in mid-March.  Has anyone driven this route before?  We have a 45' Rig and tow a pickup, so are 70' long driving down the road.  Should we use US-67 south or US-385 south to get to TX-118 (then TX-170)?  Or is there a better option?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, brunsje said:

We are heading to Maverick Ranch RV Park, Lajitas, TX from Ft. Stockton (off I-10) in mid-March.  Has anyone driven this route before?  We have a 45' Rig and tow a pickup, so are 70' long driving down the road.  Should we use US-67 south or US-385 south to get to TX-118 (then TX-170)?  Or is there a better option?

Thank you.

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

I have driven US-67 to Alpine, then 118 to Lajitas many times. There is nothing to hinder you other than a couple of long minor grades. Lajitas is a nice place up until late April, then it gets "HOT".

The Bluebonnets will be in the later stage of blooming.

ShortyO

Either route works well.  We've done both, several times, in a 70' rig. 

The road from Marathon to the park is a bit less scenic, but only a little.  That route takes you through the national park for a good bit, so low speed limit and need the park pass.

Going to Alpine then down 118 is a bit longer, and the last few miles before you get to Study Butte has gotten a bit rough.

All in all, you're fine either way.  Flip a coin....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We drive 67/90 to 118 South from Alpine regularly. If you're headed through Alpine during the day on Westbound 90, you'd be better off in town turning Left on S Neville Haynes St, cross the railroad tracks and then past the track field, turn Right on E Gallego Ave. Go one block and turn Left onto 118. Plenty of room to swing wide. The 90 to 118 intersection directly in town could be very awkward if there is traffic waiting. We are 83 feet from time to time. Just a heads up, if in the long run you head out West on 90 from Alpine, there is a 13'7" underpass. Recently repaired after getting hit. We're hanging out on our 10 acres off grid, about 60 miles South of Alpine for the Winter.

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com