Best Toad braking system

Mr4aces

I am trying to determine the best Toad braking system for my set up. I have a DP with air brakes and a 2000 jeep cherokee. Initially i thought the brakemaster 9160 for air brakes looked good, but have now been made aware that an airline failure in the toad could negatively impact my coach air brakes. Yikes that's scary. How about the brake buddy system? Looks a little cumbersome and I don't like that it's not proportional. What does anyone suggest?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mr4aces said:

but have now been made aware that an airline failure in the toad could negatively impact my coach air brakes.

I do not believe that is the case. I have no experience with them but I have done research on them and I found the following in the Roadmaster installation instructions for the system.

If the air line is ruptured, the supplemental braking system will not function.

In addition, air pressure releases the brakes in an air brake system and so a loss of air would apply the brakes, not make they inoperative. I think that before you change your plans, why not contact Roadmaster and ask them what would happen as I am sure that they know and can explain to you?

For any questions you may have regarding our products, please use one of the following methods to contact us, and one of our customer service representatives will be glad to assist you.

Roadmaster, Inc.
6110 NE 127th Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98682

Directions

Toll-free: 1-800-669-9690

Local calls: 1-360-896-0407

Fax: 360-735-9300

E-mail Us

As to the Brake Buddy, it has been some years now but I towed using their units for more than 20 years and 2 different motorhomes and also 2 different models of the Brake Buddy as I upgraded from the earliest one to the Classis model at about year 10. I never had a problem with either of them. Since the CR-V that I was towing didn't really need braking under normal circumstances because our gas class A had ample braking and I drive conservatively, coasting to any anticipated stop, I always set our BB up to only apply braking in a hard stop situation and when it did apply brakes it was set to apply enough to trigger the antilock system. That way it was mostly used in an emergency stop and there were a few occasions where it was needed and did work. The new BB Stealth system does not have to be removed in order to drive the car, but I haven't seen one of those. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I installed our lights, Demco base plate and Ready Brute Elite myself.  It's a simple surge brake system that works well.  Life time warranty and often recommended.  Read another forum today that a full timer poster has had his for 14 yrs now.

2020 Dutch Star 4328, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Ready Brute Elite Towbar