Drivers Licenses and Total Combined Weight

KA6WKE

Hello!

I'm researching full time RV life and have become confused about the different driver's licenses and maximum weight. I'm looking at a RAM 3500 that had GVWR of 11500. I'm interested in domicile in FL. The class E license there is good to 26001 lbs total so this means I need to find a 30' 5th wheel <14500 lbs which I'm finding difficult to do. The descriptions for Class A/B/C are kinda confusing except for the one that's needed for hazmat :) Have I done the math right? Would I need a different class of license in order to tow ?

Thanks for reading!

Mark

Each state is different. According to the Florida website for drivers license, the class E license is good for the tow vehicle GVWR up to 26001#. GVWR does not include the trailer weight. That would be GCWR. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

11 hours ago, KA6WKE said:

I'm researching full time RV life and have become confused about the different driver's licenses and maximum weight.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are always happy to see new members join us.

After reading post I thought that it can't be that hard (even though I'm not domiciled in FL) so I started to do research and I now understand your confusion. Part of the confusion for me is the number of URL's that seem to be official state websites. There seem to be at least 2 that give driver's license information that seem to be official. StateofFlorida.com and also FLHSMV.gov? They both seem to say pretty much the same thing, but worded slightly differently.

Class E Driver's License

The Class E license is the standard driver's license for people who drive personal vehicles. It allows you to drive a noncommercial vehicle that weighs less than 26,001 pounds. These include:

• Automobiles
  • Trucks
  • Vans that carry up to 15 people (including the driver)
  • Recreational vehicles (RVs)
  • Mopeds, scooters and other two- to three-wheeled vehicles that are not motorcycles

Non-Commercial Driver Licenses

CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E driver license.

I have read the entire section of each site and just like you, I do not see an answer to what is needed to tow really heavy fifth wheel. I must agree with you that it needs further explanation. Good luck!  😏

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

There is a big difference between driving for hire and driving for personal use. The former requires a commercial drivers license/CDL, the later might require a NON-commercial drivers license uprate in some states. Try not to confuse the two definitions.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961