Recording Satelite programs

Can I use a Flash Drive on either a Wally or VIP211z Satellite Receiver instead of Hard Drive. If it works, would a USB 3.0 be needed or would a USB 2.0 be OK?  I would have to watch storage space but for the most part my recording are viewed within 1-2 days

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

You can have Dish authorize an external hard drive to use your Wally as a DVR (a thumb drive won't work). Read your Wally manual for specifications and requirements and contact Dish to have it authorized (one-time fee) when you get the drive.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary and Larissa said:

Once you get the storage issue resolved just remember that if it is set to record you can not switch to another channel on your system due to the use of only one LNB on your sat. At least this is what we run into with our Wally and Dish Tailgator.

The problem with the Wally is that it is a single tuner unit.  We use an older Dish unit with two receivers and each tuner can look at or record at the same time, provided both are on the same channel.  We use this with a Winegard Carryout G2 (dual output antenna),

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

The problem with the Wally is that it is a single tuner unit.  We use an older Dish unit with two receivers and each tuner can look at or record at the same time, provided both are on the same channel.  We use this with a Winegard Carryout G2 (dual output antenna),

My Wally has two satellite tuners and two OTA tuners for a total of four.  I frequently watch a program while recording three others.  I don't use a portable dish though.