VNL 630 - D12 - ZF 16 speed - Good for RV toter - or too many gears?

travelrider73

There is an RV Toter for sale within 2 hours of my home I'm at least moderately interested in and wondering what people's thoughts are on this model and transmission:

2004 Volvo VNL 630
477,324 miles
Volvo D12 465hp 1650 ft/lbs torque
16 speed automatic ZF Merritor Freedomline transmission
TrailerSaver TSLB 32K air-ride hitch (5th wheel installed, also have gooseneck head) - http://www.trailersaver.com/air-ride-suspension-hitches/
AirSafe Class 8 air-ride receiver hitch - http://airsafehitch.com/airsafe-class-viii/
Jackalopee converter
custom 12.5' heavy-duty deck with mounting rails and 3,500 lb winch (I have ramps too if interested)
MaxBrake controller
Air-lock rear axle option

Downside: They ripped out the sleeper section and did something different to it that doesn't fit my needs... Driver seat is pretty well worn.  That just what I see from photos.

Does that seems like a fair price for this unit given the current market?  Seems high to me?

What about the ZF?  I only found a post from several years ago and wanted to get updated thoughts... Parts availability?   16 speed ok for the application?  (Can the 16 speed skip more than one gear at a time in auto?)   

What else do I need to know?

Thanks!

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

A lot of race care toter homes use the ZF Meritor transmission so probably the key is finding a good mechanic that has worked on them. 

If it skips gears with a light load then the umber of gears won't be an issue. I don't remember if that version does it. 

Seats are available from many sources. They had to accommodate a family so that is why the extra seats were installed. Depending on what it looks like you should be able to taylor it to your needs fairly easily depending on what your needs are.

Edit: Googling it shows there is a 12 speed and a 16 speed and the 16 speed can handle a higher torque rating and both skip gears as needed.

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

A lot of race care toter homes use the ZF Meritor transmission so probably the key is finding a good mechanic that has worked on them. 

If it skips gears with a light load then the umber of gears won't be an issue. I don't remember if that version does it. 

Seats are available from many sources. They had to accommodate a family so that is why the extra seats were installed. Depending on what it looks like you should be able to taylor it to your needs fairly easily depending on what your needs are.

Edit: Googling it shows there is a 12 speed and a 16 speed and the 16 speed can handle a higher torque rating and both skip gears as needed.

So you know these folks personally it sounds like.  (Seems like the HDT crowd is a small community.  I'm happy there is so much camaraderie).  I'm anxious to talk to them tomorrow.  I think they went to bed right before I messaged with my interest.  Hoping to see it this weekend.  

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

2 hours ago, hone eagle said:

never heard of a 16 speed freedom line ,thought they were all 12's.Still being built all over the world but a old (law)suit keeps them from the U.S.

I think it was the dealer in Sault St Marie that had several when I was looking for a 430.  Somebody up there had a fleet that they were trading in, all heavy spec trucks though.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

13 hours ago, travelrider73 said:

So you know these folks personally it sounds like.  (Seems like the HDT crowd is a small community.  I'm happy there is so much camaraderie).  I'm anxious to talk to them tomorrow.  I think they went to bed right before I messaged with my interest.  Hoping to see it this weekend.  

We met them at the ECR rally before they had an HDT and let them drive ours so they could see if an HDT would work for them. I think at the next rally they had the Volvo. They have had it now for a few years at least. They were full timing as a family, only a few of those around with HDTs so easy to remember them.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Well, we bought it!   Yep, it's a 16 speed, but it skip shifts just like the 12, so it really just gives the transmission more options.  It typically starts in 4th gear, and I suspect we'll never start below 3rd gear, but if we need to, it's there.  Overall we're really happy with the truck. 

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

4 hours ago, travelrider73 said:

Well, we bought it!   Yep, it's a 16 speed, but it skip shifts just like the 12, so it really just gives the transmission more options.  It typically starts in 4th gear, and I suspect we'll never start below 3rd gear, but if we need to, it's there.  Overall we're really happy with the truck. 

Congrats, happy motoring. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.