Jackalopee & Volvo side compartment floor

MoneyMakeranch

To all those ahead of me, I'm getting ready to install my Jackalopee in the drivers side storage compartment and was wanting to find out where is the best spot to run my cable thru the floor to the outside of the truck. I have some dry seal fittings to run the cable thru and will need to put two 1-1/8 dia holes for the cables in the floor of the compartment (one in from the truck connector and then out to the bed). looking for input on where to put the holes from people that have done this before and not having to try and find out  (%$@%) I cant go thru there. 

Moneymaker

I mounted mine to the left side of the compartment on the drivers side. Ran the cables down the compartment about 6” in and just behind the divider. 
I used 2 7 way junction boxes one into and one out so it was easy to add any connections or do testing. 
mounted a 40 amp breaker from batteries, then used smaller breakers as needed for any accessories. 
That was on my 99 Volvo 610, not the truck in my post. 

Edited by Hewhoknowslittle

GCTaaehl.jpg

I did a similar thing, but without the plug connector pigtails.  Wish I had done that.

I mounted the jackalopee on the drivers side luggage compartment wall liner board.

I drilled 2 separate holes for plastic bulkhead gasket seals And ran the main green commercial cable in, then black RV cable out to the trailer.

The truck came with a Webasto diesel heater and factory exhaust pipe which runs out in the same area I wanted the cable.  I think there is enough space between the cable and exhaust.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Few installations I have done including mine I just use a hole saw cutter. Two holes, in and out. Hole sizes big enough for the cable and and a grommet to protect the cable from the sheet metal edges. The floor in that area is pretty thin sheet metal, hole saw will go through it like butter (after you go through the rubber mat and some insulation under the mat). Might want to consider "expanding the project", I installed there also a charger/inverter, external marine type AC socket (to run the charger while the truck was "sitting idle" and couple AC outlets (to the interior of the cab) for computer power, microwave, coffee pot, etc. I had some pictures of the project but they are deep in the archives.

Take a look under the floor before you start making holes and not run into floor stiffeners, harnesses and other "surprises".