No start Volvo D12

Parrformance

I once again have a no start with my Volvo 06 vnl 780, believe fuel pressure is no problem believe electrical is no problem only thing I noticed while cranking the dash goes out. Does someone know if that's normal I don't seem to recall with the dash blanking out when cranking?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Can you be more specific in describing exactly what's happening while the key is in the start position?  Engine cranking?  At what speed?  No crank?  It doesn't take a lot of sitting for one or more batteries to take a dump.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Still diagnosing, but looks like ECU not communicating.

I have cleaned the connections at the battery box, now need to find the ECM and check connections there.

Jackalopee

There maybe a small fused wire that has something to do with the ecm. At least I think so. It is in the battery box area. My fuse holder was corroded bad. Replace it, truck started up and has been running good. Ours is a 2000 Volvo.

Just by chance,    Vern

Yes, I did have an issue at the fuses as well.

Rechecked them with an ohm meter.

All fuses check good from the battery past all the connections.

No communication with the engine ECU.

Catalina J1939 MID 128 IN Vehicle ECU

Jackalopee

I guess I need to find what connector and pin the  the engine ECU gets its 12 volts from and chase it from the side of the motor back to the source.

Jackalopee

That little fuse on mine was good. But the fuse holder itself was corroded beyond use.

Replaced it and was good to go. I had called a mechanic to help Check it out. When he pulled into my campsite I just found the problem. Paid him for his time.

Vern

I made sure I had continuity from the battery terminal past the fuse into the factory wiring harness, all all 4 fuse blocks.

Fuses check good, and the connections were tight. 😞

There may be a loss of voltage in the rats nest of wires inside the cab.

Hard to think straight with 95° and 80% + humidity.  Going to find a wiring harness and start tracing🕵

Jackalopee

Never worked on Volvo engines -Cat Cummins and little Detroit.   First thing i always ask are you getting illumination of the check engine and stop engine light when key is turned on if so this would indicate the Ecm is turning on. Then Observe stacks when cranking, Do you see any smoke, this will not apply to a engine with a DPF. If you see smoke that indicates you are getting fuel, so injectors are firing, Possible air in fuel or low fuel pressure.  If no smoke. A voltage detector like the ones electricians use for check outlets and such works great if held up to the valve cover harness while cranking or even better on the top of the injector while cranking will verify the ecm is firing the injectors.  If the Ecm is not turning on. I would start at the batteries usually they use 2 fuses 5 amp to feed the ecm. Many of the oem,s start with one wire then splice it into 2 which kinda defeats the purpose of having 2 wires. Pull lightly on all connections and splices to verify the are connected 10 lb pull test.  I have seen where ecms just fail out of nowhere but you will not see the check engine and stop engine lights.  Don't forget to check you grounds as well the Ecm will use several grounds for the circuity as well as the external ground strap you can see. also realize the key circuit will power the ecm up most likely through a relay. The ecm will have unswitched power and switched power

Edited by TD1
spelling

Thank you, I suspect no 12v or loss of ground to the Engine ECU.  The Truck ECM has no communication with the Engine ECU currently.

Jackalopee

Thank you, I suspect no 12v or loss of ground to the Engine ECU.  The Truck ECM has no communication with the Engine ECU currently.

Saw the grounds, I plan to clean them next.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jackalopee

We have a 2000 610 Volvo.

About  once every 30 starts, it will not do anything. It has done this for years. Now when I turn the key to start I hear a relay that sounds like it is above the steering column. Maybe even on the engine side of the firewall.

So far I just turn the key off and try again. It has always worked that way for years. When it does it I am sorta frantic about it not starting. Just listening for it to start on the second try. Never looked at the dash to see what is happening 

Some day I may need to locate it. Like when it finally quits.

Vern in a T-shirt 

My 2001 has an issue of not finding Neutral and not starting with the key. I've found another way to start the motor and in time Neutral will show up and I am able to drive. I've had several mechanics try to find the issue and once I thought it was fixed. Had months of no failures or the message "Check Transmission next stop". 

Like Vern. Someday a complete repair will have to happen, when the truck won't move. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 8/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, Wrknrvr said:

There are 6 grounds on the engine firewall. 3 on each side about the height of the head. I think they are 10 mm. Clean them . I found those years ago and it solved a intermittent miss I had,.

Vern

Bingo

Jackalopee

On 8/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, Wrknrvr said:

There are 6 grounds on the engine firewall. 3 on each side about the height of the head. I think they are 10 mm. Clean them . I found those years ago and it solved a intermittent miss I had,.

Vern

Seems to have needed a good cleaning.

Edited by Parrformance
Added info

Jackalopee