B20 diesel & DEF system

trimster

What are the thoughts on biodiesel blends and our DEF systems? I've read where 10% and lower is okay.  Some comments indicate they run the B20 without issues. 

Thoughts.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

While I do not have an HDT I do have a diesel. I tend to avoid the higher "B" numbers as it seems I get worse fuel economy. I did some research and there is less BTUs in B20 than in B0 but not by that much. However, my records don't lie and I will swear in any court that I have less "pulling power" when burning B20. I try to avoid anything over B5 if I can. Best source of reading I personally have found is from North Dakota State University

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Biodiesel can cause issues if you encounter the following

...blends contaminated with phosphorus, alkaline, alkali metals or microbials can lead to increased deposits which can lead to malfunctions...

and...  as the biodiesel % increases the oil change interval decreases (more contaminates)

Between the above and biodiesels inability to deal with cold temperatures I've stayed away from it when I have a choice.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

3 minutes ago, steiny93 said:

Biodiesel can cause issues if you encounter the following

and...  as the biodiesel % increases the oil change interval decreases (more contaminates)

Between the above and biodiesels inability to deal with cold temperatures I've stayed away from it when I have a choice.

One of the things I read indicates that most of the issue is with the lower burn temperature of biodiesel and the SCR system. Doesn't get hot enough to allow the DEF filter to bake properly. 

Cold temps are not a problem for the next few fill ups, here in Central Oregon.  

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I don't have an HDT with emissions, But I have driven my dually all over the country hauling race cars. I used to keep MPG logs that make it very clear the lower MPG with Biodiesel blends.  The 10 percent savings I used to get over real diesel always cost me about 12 percent in fuel mileage. That is in addition to the sickly performance at full load up a hill.