Mobley

Anyone with a Mobley remember what the  wiring is to which pins on the power adapter for AC current with the step down adapter.  They should be the same as the ones  that powers off the computer right?  If you are real good can you post a diagram or picture looking at the pin holes with the right ones pointed out.  Thanks if you can help.

I have had our Mobley hooked up to both pins 4&5 ( Chassis & Signal grounds respectively ) together and 12 volt battery power to pin 16 ( power ) for as long as we've had it . Short of a slow tower here and there , never a problem . 

Mobley-Pinout-4-5-Grounds-16-battery-12-

I have and used a step-down , but , prefer the direct to 12 volt connection . 

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

Is yours numbered as pictured? Mine isn't.  The one I am hoping to repair is AC (125v) Switching Adapter stepping it down to 12v 1amp. There is a break at or in the head of the plug. One wire is still fine but the other broke somewhere at the head as I said.   I have a back up that plugs to USB but in some cases the broken one worked better.  Thanks for you replies.

All pins on my devices (a Mobley and an AC adapter) are numbered.  Pat & Pete's pin-out diagram is for the female side (the Mobley itself).  For the male side (the power plug), the top pins are numbered 1 to 8 (left to right) and bottom row of pins are numbered 9 to 16.

You only need to connect 2 pins (chassis ground and power).  The chassis ground pin is the forth pin from the left on the top row.  The 12v power pin is the last pin (far right) on the bottom row.  I know this because my AC adapter only has metal connections in those two locations and it works well.

I wasn't able to find a current draw spec for the Mobley,  but one post claimed that it was about 800 ma.  If so, that's more than female USB 1 and 2 ports are designed to handle.  The USB 3 (usually blue color instead of black) allows up to 900 ma (0.9 amps).  That maybe why Bigjim's AC adapter sometimes worked better than his USB adapter.

Edited by DanZemke
Added pinout for Mobley power source plug

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

6 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I wasn't able to find a current draw spec for the Mobley,  but one post claimed that it was about 800 ma.  If so, that's more than female USB 1 and 2 ports are designed to handle.  The USB 3 (usually blue color instead of black) allows up to 900 ma (0.9 amps).  That maybe why Bigjim's AC adapter sometimes worked better than his USB adapter.

USB is 5 volts, the Mobley requires 12 volts.  So multiply the current by 2.4 to get the draw out of the USB outlet.

From the manual:

Working Voltage
Your mobile hotspot is a Wi-Fi hotspot without a battery. The power
is supplied through the vehicle’s OBD II connector port. The voltage
range is from 9V to 16V. If the OBD II voltage drops to 11.5V, your
mobile hotspot will go into Protection mode to ensure that the car
battery remains capable of restarting.

Mode - Average current (mA)
Power Saving 2.5

LTE network searching 54.6

LTE MAX power (maximum
transmission power) 283.2

LTE normal network connection
with five (5) devices associated but
no open PDP context 121.7

LTE normal network connection
with five (5) devices associated and
streaming some video content

Since these are 12 volt currents, the peak will be 693 MA from a 5 volt USB outlet.  While a USB port on a computer is limited to 500 ma you can parallel two of them to get 1 amp, more than enough for the Mobley's highest consumption.  The smallest USB charger I've seen also delivers 1 amp so a Mobley should work fine from it via a 5 volt to 12 volt adapter.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Thanks guys, you are getting me there. Turns out the mobley itself (female side) is numbered when you shine a light into it and the trifocals are working well. Of course its numbered right to left like petes picture to match the power plug which would be numbered left to right like Dan's.