oil leak

Hello Everyone…

I have a 2003 Ford F-53 RV

Two months ago I did an oil change, the recommended amount was 6 quarts, but most forums recommend adding 5 quarts fits then check the level and add as needed. So I added 5 quarts but got busy and forgot about checking the level and adding more till 2 weeks ago, so I checked the level and added about ¾ of quart… few days ago I noticed an oil leak, I got under the RV and saw the leak was forming around the AC compressor belt, is that normal after oil change? Does that mean I overfilled it? Could it be different type of leak? Or is it a sign of something more serious? Take into consideration I have not drove or moved the RV, I have been hooked up for the last 5 months

NO that's not normal after a correct oil change. Unless its been rebuilt its not uncommon for an older AC compressor to begin leaking, and that's a closed system that doesn't use engine oil. I cant say from here if its engine oil or an AC problem. I don't envision a "slight" overfill as causing a sudden engine oil leak.

John T 

6 quarts is correct for the 2003 V-10 in your motorhome. So there is no reason that 5 3/4 quarts should cause a leak. 

When you say "forming around the A/C compressor belt" do you mean at the compressor itself or somewhere else, like where the belt goes around crankshaft pulley?  Because that one belt runs everything on the vehicle (water pump, alternator, A/C, power steering) and weaves a pretty tortuous path!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

NO that's not normal after a correct oil change. Unless its been rebuilt its not uncommon for an older AC compressor to begin leaking, and that's a closed system that doesn't use engine oil. I cant say from here if its engine oil or an AC problem. I don't envision a "slight" overfill as causing a sudden engine oil leak.

John T 

I agree John. It is not unusual for an automotive refrigerant compressor to leak during long-term storage. Seals dry out and become brittle from non-use. The lubricating oil was mixed with the refrigerant and has now settled out of solution; what was in the compressor has now leaked away.

This means when the refrigerant system is recharged, the proper amount (unknown at this point) of refrigerant oil must also be added.

As to engine oil, he said he added 5qts. to a system that holds 6 qts. with filter change. Thin means one of two things, the dipstick displays 1qt. low, OR he did not replace the oil filter.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

As to engine oil, he said he added 5qts. to a system that holds 6 qts. with filter change. Thin means one of two things, the dipstick displays 1qt. low, OR he did not replace the oil filter.

Re-read his post. He intentionally under filled it with the intent of topping it off using (presumably) the dipstick reading. But forgot to do so until 2 weeks ago.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

23 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Re-read his post. He intentionally under filled it with the intent of topping it off using (presumably) the dipstick reading. But forgot to do so until 2 weeks ago.

That lends credence to the spilled oil speculation, but not whether he replaced the filter? If he didn't he overfilled.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I did replace the oil filter... I noticed the leak after over a week from the time I topped the engine oil ( first I added 5 quarts then 3/4 of a quart 

the oil looks to be forming only on the compressor to the side where the belt goes around it, the rest of the belt is dry  

I will try to post pictures once I figure how to do that on here 

53 minutes ago, Sir Traveller said:

the oil looks to be forming only on the compressor to the side where the belt goes around it, the rest of the belt is dry  

Ive more then once had AC compressors that had some age on them begin leaking in the pulley/belt area (usually cooling gets less also).  Best I recall ??? dye can be injected that shows AC system leaks under a blue light. AC compressor leaks are nasty looking, is the compressor nasty/dark looking in the pulley rear/inner area ??  How's the AC performing ?? If it stops cooling it may well have sprung a leak at the compressor, as my buddy says its nothing money cant fix lol, however Ive never replaced a compressor (and filter dryer etc while at it) that lasted as long as the OEM equipment did. 

John T  NOT any AC and Compressor expert see what they think...

• 2 weeks later...

so far it is still leaking very slowly ( one drop every few hours ) the color of the oil is golden / brownish 

here are some pics and I hope they show up on this forum 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hwrkgem"><a href="//imgur.com/a/hwrkgem"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>