? about domiciling in texas without using the Escapees address

Vic2021

Hi all,

We will be putting everything in storage and domiciling in Texas.  We will be using the Escapees mail service.  But do not want to use them as a physical address because we have family in Texas and want to establish doctor relationships in Bexar County. 

I'm still unclear about the order of events.

We will use one of two family members for a physical address.  Two questions.

1) What proof do we need to have that as our physical address?  We wouldn't have bills or establish any kind of service at their house.

2) We will want to be clear with them about what we asking.  Is there any downside for a family member when you use their address as your physical address?

3) I'm still unclear.  Do we register the van first or get our drivers license first?

I'm sure this question has been asked before.  It seems like a slight spin on the class Texas domicile.

Thanks.

Vic 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you join us.

The issue of domicile is mostly at the state level, as there are very few issues about what county you reside in and I am not aware of any such cases to go into court. In TX there is a small county fee that is attached to the vehicle registration called road & bridge fee, but all of the remainder is to the state and is between $10 & $20. The other issue that can be a factor is the state vehicle inspection, which has a smog requirement in some counties but Bexar county is not one of those and neither is Polk Co.(where Escapees are). For those reasons, I really can't think of any problems that you would have if you choose to use either of those counties as your domicile. It becomes mostly just an issue of where you get your driver's license, vehicle registrations, insurance, and register to vote. 

To answer question #1, I suggest that you read though this list of acceptable documents from the state DPS website. In your case the Texas Residency Affidavit will probably be the most convenient.

Question #2 will depend on how much you actually use that address. If you use their address on your driver's license, vehicle registrations, and insurance, then those renewal documents will be mailed to the address on them and not to your mail service address and so will need to be forwarded to you. I really can't see any benefit to you by not just using your Escapees mail service address for everything. If you move all of your business contacts, banking, and other things to San Antonio area, the only thing using the Polk Co. address would do is to mean you would then vote in Polk Co. rather than Bexar. Should you eventually stop traveling and wish to move things to Bexar Co. it only takes a mailed in change of address to move all of those items to your Bexar Co. address that you establish. It would be far less complicated to just use Escapees for domicile and all of your legal issues, while banking, doctors and other important things could still be in Bexar Co.

Question #3, in most cases it works best to establish your domicile address and then register your vehicles to that TX address. Once that is completed you would use the vehicle registration documents to show physical presences in TX and qualify for a TX driver's license.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our daughter and son-in-law live in the DFW area, but we decided to use Escapees when we moved from Tyler, Tx to our fulltiming address because they were living in an apartment and moved every 2 years or so.  I can't count the number of different places they have lived before they purchased their home, but it would have been a big hassle for us.  Plus, they are working and have enough on their hands, without worrying about our mail, especially since we get all of our maintenance meds through Express Scripts.  It just makes things so much easier to have all the mail go to them.    Once you get your Escapees address, register your vehicles (you can do that by mail and the folks at the Polk County office are very helpful), then transfer your insurance to your new address.   We also have Direct TV, so once that was set up, we have 3 pieces of residency information.  Also move your cellular service billing address to the Escapees - another piece of data you can use.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks everyone.  I think I was stuck on everything being in the same county.  We will set our address up Escapees.  But will establish doctors in Bexar County.

I'm still choking on the downsizing.  Not wrapping my head around getting rid of everything.  

Vic

48 minutes ago, Vic2021 said:

I'm still choking on the downsizing.  Not wrapping my head around getting rid of everything.  

Once you start downsizing it truly is liberating.... at least for us it was.  It's amazing the 'free' feeling once you move into your RV..... much less clutter, less cleaning, less things to worry about.  Of course, it seems like you'll be putting everything in storage but didn't say why.  Storage fees are high.  At least try to get rid of things you never use or even forgot you had to save money.   Good luck to you in your new lifestyle!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

59 minutes ago, Vic2021 said:

Thanks everyone.  I think I was stuck on everything being in the same county.  We will set our address up Escapees.  But will establish doctors in Bexar County.

Vic

Every year we clean out take things to Goodwill or throw things in the trash that we haven’t used.  Just remember once to get started, if something comes in, something goes out.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, Vic2021 said:

Not wrapping my head around getting rid of everything.  

When we live in an RV, there are many things that we just don't need any longer and more people discover that they have taken too much along, rather than too little. Just what is worth the storage fees will depend to a large extent on how long you live in the RV and have no home-base in which to store things. Furniture and similar items do not fare well for long unless stored in a climate controlled facility and costs rise rapidly. We debated long and hard about letting our furniture go, but when we stayed on the road for nearly 12 years before buying another home-base, it turned out that those decisions paid off. 

Another possible answer you may want to consider is buying a quality cargo trailer that you could store your things in safely with that trailer parked at the home of a TX family member, if they happen to have a place where you could do that. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 hours ago, Vic2021 said:

Vic

What insurance company do you use?  Is there something in your insurance policy that would keep you from seeing a doctor in Bexar County, or requires you to only see a Dr in Livingston. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/