Gen 2 steering wheel replacement

dan412

15 minutes ago, dan412 said:

I'm going to replace the steering wheel on a gen 2 Volvo 780 I want to know after disconnecting the battery cables, is there anything I need to do before removing the airbag.

Thanks, Dan

That's a good question, I do not believe there is a battery for  the bag, but my 2001 does say on a tag that service is required every 10 years I believe, or there is an "Expiration date". That could be a battery or maybe degradation of the propellant. I'm guessing it's the latter, but who really knows? 

Rod

PS my Dad replaced his Volvo Steering wheel too, but it was a long time ago. He said it was too small I think. What is your reason? 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I know there is no battery just for the airbag itself. When replacing air bag in a car all you need to do remove the battery cables then wait a few minutes then it's ok to unplug the airbag. Just wondering if it is the same for the truck airbag. 

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

SRS airbag systems that I’ve seen employ capacitors to store energy used for firing the air bag.  The purpose of the capacitor is to ensure sufficient energy is available should the battery circuit get disconnected during an accident. So even with the battery disconnected, the air bag can deploy. 

When working on the steering wheel or any part of the vehicle SRS system, it’s prudent to disconnect the battery and wait for the capacitor to discharge. SRS capacitor discharge time varies among vehicles. I’ve not heard of any that recommended waiting more than 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery before working on the system. So I’d wait at least 30 minutes unless somebody can find specific Volvo guidance. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I would agree, in the won ton, I have two fuses that apply power to the air bags mounted in the wheel and dash.  I would just remove the fuses to the bags and wait 30 minutes for discharge.  I believe I would still avoid sitting in the driver seat when removing the wheel.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee