Teton rear awning

GlennWest

Our Teton has a rear awning and it really is nice. It is a pain though to get those pins lined up.Do any of you that have this just leave pins in and not secure them when traveling? Has a fairly strong spring in it. Think eventually I will replace it with solar panels.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I don't know about your awning but I had an awning blown off while going west a little west of Odessa. I was lucky and had minimal damage and the roller did not hit another vehicle or land in the road where someone could hit it. I stopped a few miles up the road at Monahans Sand Hills SP and about 45 min. later a nice motorhome was setting up nearby with major damage to their toad and minor damage to the motorhome caused by one of their minor awnings. Awnings are fantastic but I have never replaced mine and if I ever have another one I will make darn sure they are secured. I relate this to you just as a thought and observation. I know you have enough sense and espirence to come up with a good solution but now way would I take a short cut unless it is one I knew is an almost sure thing.

Darn wish I could spell expereince  and Monahans. Usta'could

You don't understand what I was asking. It is a manual awning. When you pull the awning out the arms naturally come out at an angle. There are 1/4" pins in the frame of the awning. Short arms come down and catch the pins to hold it out. Pull out on awning, shart arm drops down and you can let awing in. To secure you pull out pin, one on each side, and awning goes in about an inch further. Reinsert pin and it lines up latch and front and back pin hole. That last step is difficult. I could just leave pin in and not lock arms in. I really don't think it would go anywhere. I have also never seen any other than a Teton with a rear awning. They remove the sun heat on the back glass. Real nice. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My understanding is that the arms are not the issue with most Awning failures, but the wind getting under the roller and overcoming the spring tension causing the awning to become a big sail.  The mounting hardware is not designed or capable of holding the awning to the RV and it rips off causing all kinds of damage.  A lot of people have just wrapped Velcro tape around the arms to provide additional security  with the pins and still had their awning rip off.  I understand the key is to put a pin in the roller to arm attachment to lock the roller to the arm when traveling.  For shorter people, this can be a problem.  In your case, I would just wrap the arms with some kind of strap and hope the wind currents at the back of the RV are not ever strong enough to get under the roller and start unwinding the awning.  Keeping the arms Pinned/Wrapped will help prevent any bouncing down the road from providing any chance for any little arm movement to provide that opening.  I converted my side awning to electric and there is no way to force the roller to unwind manually, I just hope the motor never fails in the deployed position and I have to move out on some schedule.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

3 hours ago, sundancer268 said:

My understanding is that the arms are not the issue with most Awning failures, but the wind getting under the roller and overcoming the spring tension causing the awning to become a big sail.  The mounting hardware is not designed or capable of holding the awning to the RV and it rips off causing all kinds of damage.  A lot of people have just wrapped Velcro tape around the arms to provide additional security  with the pins and still had their awning rip off.  I understand the key is to put a pin in the roller to arm attachment to lock the roller to the arm when traveling.  For shorter people, this can be a problem.  In your case, I would just wrap the arms with some kind of strap and hope the wind currents at the back of the RV are not ever strong enough to get under the roller and start unwinding the awning.  Keeping the arms Pinned/Wrapped will help prevent any bouncing down the road from providing any chance for any little arm movement to provide that opening.  I converted my side awning to electric and there is no way to force the roller to unwind manually, I just hope the motor never fails in the deployed position and I have to move out on some schedule.

you still misunderstand. Unless you have a Teton with the rear awning You don't see the picture. I will take a pic and attempt to post it so you will understand.

See in this pic that the arm that is holding the awning arm out is held there by the pin. By design when the awning goes in, you pull back and lift arm off pin.  Let it drop down. Repeat on opposite side. For transport, pull out pin and those holes sorta lines up. Bear to get it in there. Spring is fairly strong. without the pull cord, takes wife and I to get it out. Need to order new cord for it. Seems to me it would stay in place with just leaving pin in and let it rest against it.It would be out about 1/4". See no way air could get under it towing. Your thoughts now that you can see it.

32 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Sorry can't see the picture or link that you posted.  It's jibberish.

shows up on my phone and chromebook. Now It took several attempts to get it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn,

Just saw your post. We have a 2007 Teton with a rear awning.  I also have a hard time with the pins.  I use a rubber mallet and gently knock them into place.  I am not comfortable leaving the pins out.  Thought about drilling new holes and using the next size pins.  The mallet works ok for now. We love our Teton!!

Safe travels

Brad