Seeking User Feedback

David M.

From a user's perspective, do you seek seclusion or the sense of seclusion? How far would be your limit for fuel, food and essentials from your camp?  Would 35 minutes to Walmart be close enough?   Is a room to workout, important to you?  What do you consider are "must haves" at each camp site?  I'm testing an idea to see If a new RV park will appeal to enough people.  The location is approx. 10 miles south of Annona, TX.  Annona is off Hwy 82, about halfway between Texarkana and Paris.  There's a Walmart in New Boston, off of Hwy 30.  Within an hour, you can be in Arkansas or Oklahoma.       

Welcome to the Escapee forums. We live in Mesquite and I have traveled through that area many times so am somewhat familiar with the location. Let me start by asking you a couple of questions. Is your plan to make a park that will attract longer term visitors and snowbirds, or are you looking for the shorter term customers and traveling public? Your location doesn't seem to me to be a great one for the passing RVers but could be a good place to attract longer term visitors if you are price and amenities competitive. I'm not sure what attractions you have nearby to attract people so in could be important to promote those attractions since I doubt that the majority of potential visitors would be familiar with them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk!

That's a great question. I don't know enough about this venture yet, to know how to market. I have about two more years before retirement and wanted to do something I will like and earn extra money. I started with the idea of a much larger property and offering the amenities that people want, and have room to expand. I've seen parks that I could see no appeal, and they're busy!?!  Seeing so many of these places made me wonder if I might be over thinking things.  That's why I'm inquiring, to see what the end user thinks.    

An RV park with many amenities has a very large capital investment.  That can be mitigated to some degree by doing the work yourself, but that makes things take longer to develop. I'd suggest that under the circumstances you should probably do some serious research before going too far. For full hookups, the estimates that I have seen are $15k - 20k per site. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That's a little higher than my estimate of $10k - 15k, but close enough to be doable.  My intent is to complete as much of the plan that finances will allow, and open the completed portion of the park.  As the bank increases, continue the plan.  You're so right about doing some serious research, and I will.  

David, welcome to the forums and good Luck! Don't forget to give Escapees and military discounts!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Location Location Location is really important. Been through Annona many times and it could be great but I don't know enough to say. It will be good to have a number of long termers that do work in the area.  You don't absolutely need bathrooms and showers if you go the write way.  You need a good tax advisor and plan your lots for easy maint.  I  have seen this happen at a private park in Millington Tn for the last 10 or so years. He started small and still is adding a pad or two evey year or so as much for tax reasons as anything else.  He even put in a Tornado shelter that can hold at least 60 people.  He did start out owning the land.  He needed some dirt to build up the road and was going to pay to have it hauled in but the guy he was getting to do the work said how about I dig you a pond and use that dirt for the build up. Great idea.  His pond is stocked with nothing but Bass and brim and of course people from the park can fish for free. His main screw up was some of his layout for most of his pads.  Done just a little different it would have made his yard maint. easier.  He started out with a mixture  of concrete pads and gravel pads. I think he only has one gravel pad left and If I can I like it as it is cheaper.  I don't know the size of his concrete pads but  they are well built and large. The road used to be gravel for a few years but have been asphalt for quite some time.  When he adds a new pad he does some of the prep work and forming himself at least in the past.  BTW he doesn't have restrooms and showers. He charges a flat rate that includes water, elec. and sewer.  The park is on a well and has a large septic system that must work really well.

Edited by bigjim