What should we do next?

Kirk W

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

I had not. Proving we are never too old to learn. It's going to take some effort for me, though, as the author indicated it would. I do think it's time for there to be a replacement for he/she but I thought it would be a new word, not a new use of an old word.

BTW one of our SKP friends introduced us to the singular "we". That's where one says, "We should..." actually meaning "You should..." :) 

Linda

Isn't that the "royal" we?   Always indicating that the individual speaking is "directing" the activities. 😉

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Isn't that the "royal" we?   Always indicating that the individual speaking is "directing" the activities. 😉

So we know who is queen of the rig? :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

I do not consider that better as "they" and "their" are plural not singular.

I'm with ya, but we're going to lose that battle.  I wonder if my involuntary flinch every time I hear it will ever go away.

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

But, all of this is just playing word games; I'm pretty sure we all understood what the OP meant.

I always think of this in situations like this:

A father and son are in a horrible car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to the hospital; just as he’s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate—that boy is my son!” Explain.

This would be more fun if this:

A father and son are in a horrible car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to the hospital; just as he’s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate—that boy is my son!” Explain.

if it was made gender neutral:

A parent and child are in a horrible car crash that kills the parent. The child is rushed to the hospital; just as they is about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate—that they is my child!” Explain.

The gender neutral stuff sure does get confusing. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

OK. Back to the original topic''flu shots". Walgreens is coming to our complex October 23rd so I will get my shot right here and right on schedule. Dave already had his so will have to decide whether or not to get a second one in February depending on how things look by then.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Walgreens is coming to our complex October 23rd so I will get my shot right here and right on schedule.

Our senior community had that same thing from a local pharmacy (not a chain) almost a week ago. Our doctor advised us to do it early and this was about a month earlier than the community usually does it. From what the doctor said, they are hoping it will result in far lower cases of flu as happened in Australia. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 9/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, Mr. Camper said:

The surgeon was the boy's father.  The boy had been adopted by a gay couple.

The riddle's been around for much longer than gay couples have been having children, and still doesn't result in the surgeon being a woman.  Apparently it hasn't outlived its usefulness.  😀