New Windshield Wash Reservoir

Vegas Teacher

Well I am back in Vegas.....

I got to travel home for a week to see S.E. Kansas and do some fishing in the strip pits of S.E. Kansas (Pittsburg no H). For those of you who aren't familiar with this part of the country Strip Pits were made from the era of strip mining coal, they dug hug pits in the ground following the coal veins. These giant pits then filled up with water and the state stocked them with several species of game fish including Large Mouth Bass. I humbly reply after many fishing attempts were  made to catch these fish that I only caught one bass of about 10 inches.

While I was home my mechanic here in Vegas called me and asked me if I wanted to do some more work on my semi. I went ahead and did my windshield washer reservoir, he replaced all of the electrical lines that went to it and all of the hoses plus filled it up with fluid. Total job with labor was 650.00. He said he could have just hooked up the old hoses but they were extremely brittle and would have to be replaced in the near future. I also got a quote to do my leaf springs, front breaks, front shocks, all hardware replaced like nuts, bolts etc plus Labor came out to about 4500.00 However first I will have the cab bushings and leveling arm replaced. They are going to take my cab off with a crane and make sure it is sitting square on the frame, that is about 1500.00 with parts, labor and tax. Then 8 drive tires. That is my plan for the rest of 2020 /2021 June. In July of '21 I plan on my first trip across country, back to S.E. Kansas (Pittsburg). 

I am so excited about my truck now. I can see then end is near then I get to start adding the fun stuff like Chrome, lights, paint and camera's. I even ordered a catalog from Raynes in Florida. I know they have a website on line and I go there a lot but I am one of the old fashion people who like to have something tangible to flip through and show my wife.

For those of you who love cars I have another project in the works. My dad has a 1952, 2 door hard top Chevy. It is the old 216 cubic inch in line 6 engine and has a 3 on the tree. I got to drive it while I was home. I think I am going to take over the restoration of this car. The seats are in really bad shape so now I am combing the internet looking for replacement parts for the both the interior and exterior. I am torn on the power train. I know I want to keep the shifter on the column but I would like to drop in a 5 speed manual transmission. I put in 5 speed on the tree and found there was a car that did have one. I am also considering dropping in a 327 to power it. I know I would have to upgrade a lot of things. It has already been upgraded from a 6 volt to a 12 volt system. So anybody who has opinions on this is welcome to comment too.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana 

We replaced our washer jug on our Freightliner, was a pretty easy job but we did not need to replace any of the lines. 

On the car, if you can work with carburetors, go for the old style V8, otherwise the thing to do now a days is to but a LS motor in it with fuel injection. We installed a 5.3L in a 65 Chevy Van that has a chopped top on it. 

shMAc22l.jpg

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

2 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We replaced our washer jug on our Freightliner, was a pretty easy job but we did not need to replace any of the lines. 

On the car, if you can work with carburetors, go for the old style V8, otherwise the thing to do now a days is to but a LS motor in it with fuel injection. We installed a 5.3L in a 65 Chevy Van that has a chopped top on it. 

shMAc22l.jpg

I really am having a hard time deciding on engine and power train. Part of me wants to keep the old 216, and part of me wants to upgrade to something fuel injected. 

On 7/18/2020 at 7:38 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

I really am having a hard time deciding on engine and power train. Part of me wants to keep the old 216, and part of me wants to upgrade to something fuel injected. 

I learned to drive in my dad's 1952 Chevy.  My oldest brother was a mechanic at the local Chevy garage in those days, and swapped out the 216 for a slightly later 235. As I recall, the main difference was a pressure oil system vs the 216 splash dipper system. It would pin the oil pressure gauge to the top. 

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car