Have Ram 2500 Diesel, Looking to add Cap

tepebs

We just bought a Ram 2500 diesel mega cab and are wanting to add a camper cap on the back for storage and the dog crate. We have a larger sized dog and she does not like to sit, just stand or lay. I don't think there is going to be enough room with the kids and her in the back seat for long drives. We will be towing a travel trailer. Our plan was to get a camper cap, have the truck window open into the cap so the cold air could get to her, maybe have a fan there to help draw the cold air in. I know people who have let them just free stand in the back (within the bed/cap), but I worry about accidents, so she may be in the crate (it's big enough for her to stand in and move around). Has anyone else done some thing similar? What cap would you recommend? Do you loose use of your backup and cargo cameras?

Thank you!

Edited by tepebs
spelling

While we'd more than happy to dispense free advice and spend your money, this really isn't the appropriate place to ask this question.  We are kind of focused on larger trucks, those commonly referred to as a road tractor or semi truck, converted for rv duty.

Good luck in your search.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Sent you a PM. 

HDTs and MDTs don't have "beds" like a pickup. - and for sure no "camper cap" or shell.  Although they may also have a pickup for other  chores.

Try RV.net  - with your question - or- one of the Dodge (Ram)  Diesel Truck  forums,  such as TDR (Turbo Diesel Register), etc.  

You'll easily find lots of advice and solutions for Fido!

https://www.ramforum.com/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/

When we had a dog, we used a large dog kennel carried in the camper.  We would always take him out for a walk when we stopped for ourselves.  I would find something to carry securely in the back, don't want them flying around/getting hurt from sudden vehicle movements.

Try those 2 sites, someone has done it before.  I don't do caps so can't answer your original question.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Yes, Heavy Duty is relative.  Compared to my Little Girly Truck, F-150, it certainly earned that badge.😉

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, tepebs said:

Sorry! First truck, just assumed I put it in the right spot since it said heavy duty on the side... 😂  As you can tell, I'm still learning! Thank you :)

No need to apologize.  We all learn here.  No stupid questions.  Most will share their experiences and teach along the way.

Note what I have learned:

A pickup is an LDT.  Yours is in this category.

A larger truck(like my IH 4700LP) is an MDT-capacity is 26000# on this one

A still larger truck is an HDT (Volvo, Freightliner,  Class 7-8 etc.), 

Marcel

On 1/31/2020 at 11:46 AM, rpsinc said:

No need to apologize.  We all learn here.  No stupid questions.  Most will share their experiences and teach along the way.

Note what I have learned:

A pickup is an LDT.  Yours is in this category.

A larger truck(like my IH 4700LP) is an MDT-capacity is 26000# on this one

A still larger truck is an HDT (Volvo, Freightliner,  Class 7-8 etc.), 

And occasionally a Smartcar since they ride on our HDTs

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1