Another Hopper 3 thread

Well I've read different threads on various forums and also called Dish and talked to different reps and have come away still a bit confused.

Here's what I have right now:

• VIP722K
  • 1000.2 dish with the extra eastern arc LNBs
  • Just one TV

I want to go with a Hopper 3

When I talk to Dish they say:

• I'm a Dish Outdoor customer and they won't put a Hopper 3 in a RV
  • When I say I'm using a 1000.2 dish and going to be stationary for the winter they "kind of" talk like I can get a Hopper 3
  • Then they warn me that my account will be switched over to a permanent location account and when I start moving again I may have problems updating my local channels - is this true?

I understand that I could buy a Hopper 3 outright and they wouldn't care whether I was moving around our not.  If I self install would I need a DPH42 switch?

• If I need a DPH 42 can I insert it inside the RV?
  • If I insert it inside the RV, how many coax runs would I need from the 1000.2 to the switch?

Depending on the replies I get I will likely have more questions.  Thanks.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Well I've read different threads on various forums and also called Dish and talked to different reps and have come away still a bit confused.

I'm with you on that. It's interesting that you can have a Hopper on a Pay-As-You-Go plan, but not DISH Outdoors. Or are they the same thing?

What are the advantages of a DISH Outdoors account?

If I self install would I need a DPH42 switch?

Not if you're just using a portable 1000.2. In fact, just replace your current 1000.2 DPP LNBF with an Eastern Arc Hybrid LNB (or a Western Arc Hybrid LNB). Then you only have to run a single coax from the dish to your Hopper 3.

A DPH42 is only needed when you're connected to a DPP LNB, like a Winegard Travler.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

28 minutes ago, Zulu said:

What are the advantages of a DISH Outdoors account?

As near as I can tell those with an Outdoors account can change locals more easily.  If you have an Outdoors approved receiver you can change locals using the app, but that wouldn't apply to a Hopper.

Not if you're just using a portable 1000.2. In fact, just replace your current 1000.2 DPP LNBF with an Eastern Arc Hybrid LNB (or a Western Arc Hybrid LNB). Then you only have to run a single coax from the dish to your Hopper 3.

A DPH42 is only needed when you're connected to a DPP LNB, like a Winegard Travler.

The reason for the DPH42 in my case would be that I carry both eastern and western LNBs and swap them out depending on our location.  If I don't get a DPH42 I would have to buy the Hybrid LNBs.

Which brings me back to one of my questions - If I use a DPH42 do I have to do two coax runs to the 1000.2 or can it be mounted inside the RV at the receiver?

IMO, the easiest solution is to go to a local Dish installer, tell them what you want, and get it installed.  That is what I did 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.  I have a Hopper 3 with 1 wireless Joey, a 1000.2 with a DPH and currently have a WA triple LNB installed.  I am receiving EA sats 61 and 72.  I enjoy NOT having to change LNBs.  

My billing address is still the S&B I moved out of 8 months ago.  For whatever reason, Dish wouldn't accept my new Crestview address.  No matter, the bill gets paid by my cc every month, and the cc is at my Crestview address.

As for changing locals, here is my script, copied from Mark Bruss' script.  I use the Dish "Chat" feature. 

I am an RVer.  I have just moved to a new location.  Please update the Service Address (only) to (the street address and site number for whatever RV park you are in)and have the local channels changed to that location. Please leave the Billing Address as it is.

1 minute ago, remoandiris said:

IMO, the easiest solution is to go to a local Dish installer, tell them what you want, and get it installed.  That is what I did 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.  I have a Hopper 3 with 1 wireless Joey, a 1000.2 with a DPH and currently have a WA triple LNB installed.  I am receiving EA sats 61 and 72.  I enjoy NOT having to change LNBs.  

My billing address is still the S&B I moved out of 8 months ago.  For whatever reason, Dish wouldn't accept my new Crestview address.  No matter, the bill gets paid by my cc every month, and the cc is at my Crestview address.

As for changing locals, here is my script, copied from Mark Bruss' script.  I use the Dish "Chat" feature. 

I am an RVer.  I have just moved to a new location.  Please update the Service Address (only) to (the street address and site number for whatever RV park you are in)and have the local channels changed to that location. Please leave the Billing Address as it is.

Thanks - I use a similar script.  It was my understanding that the reason I can use the "I'm an RVer" and them not question it is because they see that I have a Dish Outdoors account.  If the change me to a permanent address will that go away?

4 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

I do NOT have a Dish Outdoor account.  Never have.  And never had a problem with them changing my service address.  

There have been times the customer service person tells me I can change the locals myself.  Then I tell them the setup I have and they stop telling me I can change it myself.

Thanks.  Good info.  When I started off I just took the Receiver out of the house and moved into the RV, doing just what you describe.  Somewhere along the way, and without any input from me, they changed my account to an Outdoors account.  Honestly, I have no idea of when they did that - just one day I saw that they showed me as having an Outdoors account. 

All I'm going by now is what I was told on the phone from the rep - that I might have problems updating my locals if they change me back to a residential account.  I didn't used to have a problem, but I thought maybe something had changed.

Which brings me back to one of my questions - If I use a DPH42 do I have to do two coax runs to the 1000.2 or can it be mounted inside the RV at the receiver?

Because you have to connect ALL THREE cables from a DPP LNB on your dish to a DPH42, you would leave the DPH42 at the dish and run 1 cable back to your RV.

I still recommend getting the Hybrid LNBs for your 1000.2. Otherwise you’re running 20+ VDC a distance from the DPH42 power supply (which you keep in the RV) to the DPH42.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

I have a Hopper 3 with 1 wireless Joey, a 1000.2 with a DPH and currently have a WA triple LNB installed.  I am receiving EA sats 61 and 72.  I enjoy NOT having to change LNBs.

How are you receiving sats 61 and 72 on a Western Arc LNB?

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

56 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Because you have to connect ALL THREE cables from a DPP LNB on your dish to a DPH42, you would leave the DPH42 at the dish and run 1 cable back to your RV.

I still recommend getting the Hybrid LNBs for your 1000.2. Otherwise you’re running 20+ VDC a distance from the DPH42 power supply (which you keep in the RV) to the DPH42.

Helpful information - if I can get Dish to install the Hopper 3 they will change out the western arc LNBs to Hybrid.  That would leave me needing to buy the eastern LNBs - probably less money and simpler in the long run.

If I can get Dish to install the Hopper 3 in my motorhome I'd want them to install it in a cabinet that is right over the steering wheel.  That's where all the coax terminates and where the original TV switch is.  That cabinet has a glass window, and I leave it open all the time when we are parked.  I have a small fan that helps move air.  On especially hot days I have another fan that I aim up into that cabinet to help with cooling (it can get pretty hot up over the windshield).

If I get an installer out I wouldn't have that extra fan out (not needed anyway).  I'd likely leave the small fan up there. 

Do you think an installer will be willing to put the hopper up in that cabinet our should I move the current receiver down to a temporary location (not sure where that would be) and have the Hopper installed there.  Once the install is done I can move the new Hopper up where I want it.

16 hours ago, Zulu said:

How are you receiving sats 61 and 72 on a Western Arc LNB?

That is a VERY GOOD question, and I have NO IDEA.  But, my WA LNB is installed and when I hit the ID soft key on my Super Buddy it identifies 61 on one LNB and 72 on another.  When I hit the "Test Installation" on my Hopper, I also get 61, 72, and 77.

18 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I do NOT have a Dish Outdoor account.  Never have.  And never had a problem with them changing my service address.  

There have been times the customer service person tells me I can change the locals myself.  Then I tell them the setup I have and they stop telling me I can change it myself.

Same here...I do not have a Dish Outdoor account but have never had a problem changing my service address.  I use the chat function on the Dish website and use a script similar to those above, except I make no mention of being in an RV.  Sometimes I'm asked if I'm in an RV and I reply "yes," but usually the CSR doesn't ask.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

17 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

That is a VERY GOOD question, and I have NO IDEA.  But, my WA LNB is installed and when I hit the ID soft key on my Super Buddy it identifies 61 on one LNB and 72 on another.  When I hit the "Test Installation" on my Hopper, I also get 61, 72, and 77.

You have a triple LNB Eastern Arc.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I have the small dish on a tripod.  The small dish is the 1000.2, right?  It's been 3+ yrs since I've cared, so I have forgotten what I have since it works everywhere I set up.

Hybrid triple LNB, maybe?  I don't remember.

Regardless, it is the same LNB I've used everywhere I stopped between Fla and MT, and back.  Now working our way to western LA, then western CO. 

The double LNB for the EA is sitting in a box.  Changing them is more of a PITA than it is worth, to me.

2 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

I have the small dish on a tripod.  The small dish is the 1000.2, right?

The clearest visible difference between the 1000.2 and 1000.4 dish is that the 1000.4 has a fine tuning adjustment for elevation.  You can see the two compared side by side on Zulu's website.

I thought it was possible to get the 61.5 and 72 on a WA lnb, though it wouldn't be ideal.  But, I don't know that.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have carefully dialed in a WA LNB to get the EA 61.5 and 72.7 sats on the 119/129 LNB's of a western arc set, albeit with poor signal levels. But it's just not possible to include the short 4.3 degree spread to the 77 sat with the remaining 9 degree spread LNB.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The "Outdoor" account requirements still seem to be a grey area with Dish. I've heard that a Wally or VIP receiver is required to use the app for locals changes, yet I have two Hoppers w/Sling (H2's) and a Joey on my Outdoor account, and regularly make locals changes using the app. Go figure...

As for getting an H3 installed in an RV, local authorized Dish retailers are typically much more flexible about installations than working directly with Dish. 

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch

Well, that is a 1000.2 dish, and it is a WA LNB. It's really odd that you're able to get all three EA sats though, given the WA spacing. The 61.5 signal level shown is fairly low, but obviously it's there. What level do you see on the other two sats? The photo below is the triple LNB used on the 1000.4 dish. Notice the narrow spacing for the 72.7 and 77 sats, compared to the wide space to the 61.5 sat.

wBiBjphl.jpg

Dutch