Another Hopper 3 thread

20 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

What level do you see on the other two sats?

72 is a 33 and 77 is a 16.  The best part is the tv picture and audio are still great.

My Super Buddy originally had the 61 at about 50.  To dial in 72 and still get 61, I had to settle for 35ish on both.  That is the signal strength on the Super Buddy.  Never had it correlate exactly with the signal strength shown on the tv, regardless of satellite arc.  This far southeast I had great difficulty getting 119 on the WA.  That is usually the sat the locals are beamed from. 

Those are not good signal levels, so I expect you see rain fade fairly often. Digital signals are almost always a "go/no go" source though, so it's not surprising they work well in fair weather. The signal level scale used on the Hopper is a relative scale that uses no standard measurement values. It's not likely to match any reasonably good meter like the Super Buddy. I'm surprised you had trouble getting 119 in the SE. I recall a few places in southern GA and FL where 129 was difficult due to the low elevation, but not 119. Personally, I don't mind the 4-5 minutes it takes me to remove the two small screws and do the cable swapping needed to change LNB's for the best arc for my location. Hitting sats at a 50+ degree elevation with the correct eastern arc LNB in FL means I can often get strong service within the length or width of the campsite regardless of the height of the surrounding trees.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

Only when it rains!!

Then again, I also got rain fade in my S&B with a professional installation.

With better signal levels, it takes a heavier rain storm to interfere with the signal. We all get rain fade once in awhile, but with good signals not as often or for as long.

Dutch

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

If you're asking me, no, not anymore.  I left there 4 days ago after being back for about 2 months.  Currently in NOLA for a few days before heading to the Lake Charles area for 4 months.

Yes.  I thought maybe being able to hit all three sats like that with the wrong lnb might be related to being far east and south, like Miami.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Yes.  I thought maybe being able to hit all three sats like that with the wrong lnb might be related to being far east and south, like Miami.

Maybe. Here's what Satelliteguys had to say. Sounds reasonable.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

12 hours ago, chirakawa said:

The satellite spacing doesn't change with your location. I suspect it has more to do with the sidelobe rejection limits of the DPH LNB feedhorns.

Dutch

18 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The satellite spacing doesn't change with your location. I suspect it has more to do with the sidelobe rejection limits of the DPH LNB feedhorns.

Yes, I didn't have a technical reason for it, just thought maybe the sat signal might be stronger  or the deflection different at a more SE location.  It's not likely that a few hundred miles would make a difference when you consider the distance from the satellites.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Meh.  All I know is the "crummy" signal levels were strong enough to not lose picture during the rain this a.m.  Works for me!!

We can't argue with success,,, ;)

Dutch

My Dish account is set up for our S&B but I am able to change locals when on the road with the Hopper 3 in the RV. That's because Dish has us listed as a "snowbird" account and that allows easy change with no issues and the Hopper 3. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

We have a hopper 3 with traveler and DPH42 

Tried to covert our Wally pay as you go acct but Dish wouldn’t do it. They set up home acct in our Fifth wheel. Sent a tech with a new Hopper 2 joeys and an EA ground dish.  We were up and running. 

I then converted over to the traveler. 

We change locals with zero trouble using text msg. I have a template to start the text. Takes 2-3 min tops. Done. 

Used to call but way too many questions etc. 

Edited by billr

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/