Will a "Hopper Duo" work with my Travler dish?

I am currently using a VIP722 receiver and my brother in law has a Hopper Duo that he is willing to give me. The only advantage I see is the newer interface but if it's free, why not? My question is, can I simply pull out the 722 and put the duo in its place without any issues or mods like I would have to do with a Hopper 3??

Thanks

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

can I simply pull out the 722 and put the duo in its place without any issues or mods like I would have to do with a Hopper 3?

Kind of. A Hopper Duo is actually more like a 722 than a Hopper 3.

But to answer your question -- a Duo can be directly connected to a dish. However, if you're using a Joey with a Duo then you need to use a Solo Hub.

Keep in mind that a Hopper Duo is a POS or at best a boat anchor (see this SatelliteGuys tread) & for a few dollars more you can have a Hopper 3. In fact, two Wallys would be better that a Duo because you would have twice as many tuners (Duo = 2, two Wallys = 4) and you could hang big hard drives off the two Wallys (a Hopper Duo only has 500 GB drive).

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

With the Hopper3 I would need to rewire the trailer in order to get all 3 coaxes from the Travler to the Hopper3. I currently have a Wally in the bedroom and the 722 in the living room. I use the DVR  in the living room but do not "store" that much on it and do not DVR at all in the bedroom. 

Plus the duo is free, no one has offered me a free Hopper3 or another Wally for that matter.

BTW: the Wally is a single tuner so 2 Wallys would give you the same number of tuners as 1 Duo.

2014 smart Fortwo

You could put the SOLO on the roof next to the Trav'ler, easy to run the three coax cables. 

Assuming one cable to the VIP722 and one to the Wally, use the same cables attached to the SOLO and the Hopper 3 and the Jey.

One question I haven't heard yet does the Hopper Duo use a Hybrid LNBF or a DPP LNBF? 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

10 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

One question I haven't heard yet does the Hopper Duo use a Hybrid LNBF or a DPP LNBF? 

The Hopper Duo works with either a DPP or DPH LNB.

IsPsXs3l.png

https://txdish.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Hopper-Receiver-Installation-DOC-15357.pdf

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

My Wally has four tuners.

I only know what I read, since I do not DVR and only have it on one TV.

wally.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

I only know what I read, since I do not DVR and only have it on one TV.

wally.jpg

When you connect a Wally to an open-faced dish (like a Travler) it has 2 DISH programming tuners. However, when you connect a Wally something else, like a Winegard Pathway or dome, it only has 1 DISH programming tuner.

When you connect an OTA dongle to a Wally, it gets an additional 2 OTA tuners. So that's where "4 tuners" comes from.

That OTA dongle also makes a Hopper 3 an 18-tuner receiver, get it?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Actually, I think the Wally gets two satellite tuners when it has the dvr functions enabled.  So, add an external hard drive and pay $40 for dvr and you have two satellite tuners.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

59 minutes ago, Zulu said:

When you connect a Wally to an open-faced dish (like a Travler) it has 2 DISH programming tuners. However, when you connect a Wally something else, like a Winegard Pathway or dome, it only has 1 DISH programming tuner.

When you connect an OTA dongle to a Wally, it gets an additional 2 OTA tuners. So that's where "4 tuners" comes from.

That OTA dongle also makes a Hopper 3 an 18-tuner receiver, get it?

20 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Actually, I think the Wally gets two satellite tuners when it has the dvr functions enabled.  So, add an external hard drive and pay $40 for dvr and you have two satellite tuners.

Ahh...that makes sense. Since I don't have DVR hooked up on the Wally, I guess I just blindly followed what I read. 

2014 smart Fortwo