deep scratches in brake shoes

Pull Dog

Just spent the day repacking bearings and replacing grease seals on my three year old 5th wheel.  I noticed some deep scratches in the rear brake shoe on two of the wheels.  What has caused this and do I need to replace them??  There is plenty of brake shoe material left it's just those deep scratches are questionable.

Local garage here charged me $20 to turn all 4.  I stood and watched him do it, they looked good to start but after starting to turn, all 4 where slightly out of round.  Made a huge difference on stopping my camper.  Cheap insurance to have turned/touched up especially after having rocks in the mix.

The backing plate for the brake shoes is in place and in good shape.  The rubber grommet that plugs up the adjustment hole is in place.    The scratches are just in the top part of the brake shoe,  the part that comes into contact with the drum first.   The drums are perfect with no unusual signs of scuffing.   I think this may be normal for brakes with several thousand miles on them.