Ipad Nav App?

house

I recently helped out a friend hauling horses commercially and he had gps that was awesome, it was basically like google maps with traffic, but it was marked for truck routes etc, as well as roughly keeping track of hours of service etc.  I have a GPS in my truck but it is almost useless it is way past map updates and very slow. I looked at the GPS he had at the truck stop, and while it was awesome it was also pretty expensive.  I was just curious if anyone had found a good app for the ipad that was set up for commercial vehicles rather than just the regular google maps/waze? Cant wait to hear your input.

I use co-pilot on my iPad.  It works very well and all the maps reside locally, so it works whether you have cell coverage or not.  Your iPad does need to have GPS either built in or an external GPS puck installed.  There are several versions of it with different options available.  I am currently using the basic 

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I use Co pilot truck as well, the only issue is the ETA is usually off by 2 hours at the start of the trip leg versus maps on my iPhone but it catches up as the day progresses. One other thing worth mentioning is if you’re using the truck version of co pilot it will sometimes take you on some back road that you may not normally take because its providing the shortest and not necessarily the best route. It’s a subscription service and since we don’t full time I just pay by the month when we head out with the truck.

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

I use co-pilot on my iPad.  It works very well and all the maps reside locally, so it works whether you have cell coverage or not.  Your iPad does need to have GPS either built in or an external GPS puck installed.  There are several versions of it with different options available.  I am currently using the basic 

Do you just plug the puck into the charging port? What model # of puck do you use. We bought copilot for the iPad and have no luck getting it to work inside the truck. Woks fine with clear sat signal as in outside my truck. My iPad does have a GPS chip.

Thanks

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

12 minutes ago, bags said:

Do you just plug the puck into the charging port? What model # of puck do you use. We bought copilot for the iPad and have no luck getting it to work inside the truck. Woks fine with clear sat signal as in outside my truck. My iPad does have a GPS chip.

Thanks

JB

Mine has built in GPS and sits on an arm attached to the top of the dash.  The iPad actually hangs down partially below the top of the dash and partially above the dash (just in front of the dash), near the center between the driver and passenger seats.  It gets a good GPS signal and has worked well for me in that position.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks for the info. we tried putting ours on the dash and still no joy. I also spent an hour with apple getting our location services set up. JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

We use the laptop version with a puck now and it works well except an occasional mountain sat block. They recently offered new software that cured a lot of problems.

JB

I've been using the Co pilot app on my bike for about 6 years. Even in the mountains the ipad/iphone has only lost tracking briefly a couple times. Ironically when our big trucks integrated ELD's (Electronic Logging Devices) the GPS included in the unit from the supplier was Co pilot. In the commercial version we have, we can set up truck dimensions and it will avoid known obstructions and non truck routes. I haven't looked to see if this is available in the newest Co pilot version on my ipad/iphone. Trip planning takes a little getting used to for customizing routes but is nice to do away from the drivers seat. You can sit by the campfire and do it the night before.