Hello,

We are getting ready to buy our very first RV,  thinking of making an offer on a 2015 used Newmar Dutchstar. We are wondering if we should be worried about the low mileage, only 14,500, and only 93 hours on the generator. Would it be "broken in" ? What should we be asking the inspector to look for specifically ? any help you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks so much !

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I would definately want the engine and running gear checked out by a reliable mechanic. If it is really that low it is probably OK, but I would ask them why it was driven so little. The 93 hours on the generator are not a big deal as many class A owners do not run the generator a great deal. We owned two different class A's that had onboard generators and probably never averaged more than 20 hours of run time per year. If the engine is a Cummins, the same shop could check an Onan generator, with is probably what it has. Since it is your first RV, you would also be wise to pay a mobile RV tech to go through it and make sure that everything in the coach is working as it should. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Years ago I used to hear numbers like 3000 to 4000 miles per year in a motorhome so one four years old with only 14,500 miles DOESNT SCARE RATHER PLEASES MY TASTE. One fear of low generator hours, especially if its a gas unit, is a gummed and varnished up carburetor but that's not that serious or expensive to deal with and may not even be a problem ?? It depends on how it was serviced and maintained and exercised and perhaps if any sort of a fuel stabilizer was used for any long term storages. I agree with Kirk big time a good inspection by a competent service tech is well worth it especially if your inexperienced. Besides the mechanical condition he can check the fridge and genset and AC and furnace and water heater and plumbing and electricals  etc etc etc. Go for it and good luck

John T

A contrary opinion on generators... I'd rather have a generator with 750 hours +, over a generator with under 100 hours. 

Moisture can build up in the windings - so most owners 'Exercise' their generator under medium to heavy load, for 45-60 mins, periodically... 

The rest of the input I agree with:)! 

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The second choice is preferable but you could have difficulty in finding one. I would not expect topay so much if you take it to a shop for just an inspection, but you probably should get some price ideas from the chosen shop before you commit. You might also be able to locate a professional RV inspector to go through it and cover both the coach and the chassis. 

11 hours ago, Bill&Anneli said:

When you say thorough inspection, do you mean a shop  that keeps the coach for 2-3 days and charges $1,500-2,000, or a Knowledgeable mechanic who goes to the site of the RV and checks on it there ?

Bill and Anneli, The answer depends somewhat on your own knowledge and experience and ability to at least perform a few basic checks yourself. On your own you can see if the AC is blowing cold and the genset starts and powers an appliance and the water heater works and the fridge cools OR even if you hire that done such is not very expensive. For many a $2000 (WOW !!!!) inspection is out of the question while hiring a mobile service tech to come out maybe even half a day is reasonable and necessary if you're totally inexperienced.

NOTE I would break it down into two inspections:

1 I would hire a truck type mechanic to spend maybe an hour or two checking the engine and chassis. Don't forget tires, those are a major cost consideration. Some go to the extent of an engine oil analysis which provides detailed information.

2 I would hire an RV inspector or mobile mechanic or take it to an RV dealer (likely the most expensive) for all the RV related inspections.

Bottom line this is a major decision and only you can decide what inspections you require. Many of the good gents here are very RV experienced but for a total novice I suggest at least some inspection and you must decide what makes you comfortable.  

I admire your curiosity and think its wise to have some degree of inspections prior to making an offer, an RV purchase isn't chump change.

John T

7 hours ago, Bill&Anneli said:

we are a little less terrified about making this life transition to full-time RV-ing because of this forum.

Thank you for that! Remember that caring and sharing is what the Escapees club was founded on and it continues to be the very best part of the organization. I hope that it is always that way.