This one had me guessing for a short while.

HERO Maker

So we pulled into a campground at Canyon Lake, TX (just below the dam) late yesterday afternoon and the quick decision was made to wait until this morning to offload the smart.  Fired it up late morning to move the truck a few feet for the right angle to offload.   30 minutes later I am firing it up again to move back into position with the trailer---------and no start.  So I am immediately thinking thru all the threads I have read here in the past.  We have power, no bad connection at battery. The starter is engaging and is turning the motor over.  Just no start!  So I'm thinking fuel.  Popped the hood and pushed my manual primer plunger.  No start.    Looked at the fuel filter and didn't see anything leaking and no signs of wetness anywhere, and the plastic fuel bowl is half full.   Then I spotted it.   One large bubble came up from the bottom of the Davco unit.  Kept watching it and about 15 seconds later, another bubble!   I went around and pumped the primer again many times until I felt the push back of the fuel.   Truck cranked for about 3 seconds and started up!

So I'm thinking Things are not tight around the Davco unit, or I have finally had a failure of the check valves in the fuel system.  I thought I had read where this 2001 Volvo motor has 3 check valves, and maybe it's an age thing, but I'm not remembering where they all are at?

Any ideas guys?  I'm also hoping I can get to my next destination and check on the check valves there.   Obviously once it starts I don't have a problem, so I'm thinking I don't need to be involved with the truck this week, and can go on down the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts guys.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

More than likely the check valve in the bottom of the Davco is leaking. Try pulling the filter and looking into the bottom of the filter housing. Most times, the filter gets changed but the crap in the housing just sits there for years. Clean that garbage out and put a check valve kit in the housing and you should be good to go if you don't have any leaks in the system.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Volvo dealership just south of Austin on I35.  However, I wouldn't travel I35 between the hours of 0400 and 0355.   😀

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Rocky,

I’m with GeorgiaHybrid on this one.  The Davco check valve is just a spring and plastic ball that leaks over time.  I carry a spare kit somewhere in my truck.  You can just google Davco check valve and it shows location and how to change.  Good luck buddy.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"