changing full time address

VickiWright

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

In all of the states where I have owned a house (4 states), you are required to be living in a house in order to claim a homestead exemption from property taxes. Rental property isn't eligible no matter where the owner is domiciled. 

My understanding is the OP has two houses and lives in one while renting out the other. So, I was inquiring about homestead on the one they live in. Of course, we all know I have been wrong before. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Fulltimer51 said:

Not sure why the OP has to renew DL in person every 5 yrs.. The SD DL is renewed every 5 years. After the first 5 online the second in person and so on.

I believe that those who have to sign the SD residency affidavit (that is, full-timers) must ALSO submit a lodging receipt dated within one year of the license renewal date even if they are applying for renewal online.   Although I know that some people have been known to avoid doing this, the intent is that you have to physically be in SD at some time in the year before you renew.  We simply planned our summer travels to include going to SD the year we needed to renew; one could plan ahead and go there in advance of needing a license renewal but, one way or the other, a trip to SD is in your future if you need to renew your license.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I renewed my drivers liscense in SD last year. According to their web site, if you have a PMB address you can not renew online and must renew in person. If you have a physical address in SD you may renew online. I had to actually go there and spend a night to renew my drivers liscense good for 5 years. Annual vehicle registration renewal can be done by mail. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I renewed my drivers liscense in SD last year. According to their web site, if you have a PMB address you can not renew online and must renew in person. 

Fortunately, you can go in the summertime. Early if you need to or get an extension if you missed out. If you feel the need to go in the winter you can fly in, rent a car, and stay in a motel. Whether camping or motel be sure all who needs to renew has their name on the receipt.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van