New England Camping - reservations necessary?

nyeinbuda

Will be traveling to New England states mid-June through early July. First time camping trip to that region. Want flexibility to move about without being tied to a location. How difficult is it to find campsites- state parks, national parks, private parks - without a reservation? I've typically camped in Texas, Colorado, and national parks of the western states. Minus a reservation, availability in those locations is typically limited to private parks. Is this the same in New England states during the summer?

First of all, I want to welcome you to the Escapee forums! We are very happy you are here and we will do all that we are able to help and support you.

We do not have much recent experience in New England state parks and only limited with the national parks up that way but we have found that commercial RV parks are not nearly as available as they are in the other parts of the country. We also found that most of the RV parks we stayed in were used mostly by seasonal visitors as RV owners in that area do not seem to move around the way we do in other parts of the country. As a result, we found that reservations were pretty important in the area, especially on weekends. We spent several years living in that part of the country when we were much younger and visited quite a few parks there at the time. Two resources that I have found helpful for that part of the country are Top 10 national and state parks in New England, and also 15 MUST-VISIT NEW ENGLAND STATE PARKS.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the forums.

I would recommend reservations as campgrounds are fairly small and expensive in the heavy tourist areas. We have traveled in the Northeast without reservations but be prepared with alternatives. 

Fraternal organizations frequently have spaces with power available.  I am speaking of Elks, Moose, Eagles,AmericanLegion, VFW etc. 

Good luck

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, nyeinbuda said:

Will be traveling to New England states mid-June through early July. First time camping trip to that region. Want flexibility to move about without being tied to a location. How difficult is it to find campsites- state parks, national parks, private parks - without a reservation?

Not enough information.  What RV are you going to be taking? Where are you going "New England states" is a big area and has a diverse supply of places. I have been in The New England states the last 2 summers. I will be heading back that way in May. I have been from Niagara Falls to East Port Main. You definitely need a towed to get around in. Give me some answers and I can give you better answers.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Archived