New Mirrors

SuiteSuccess

Getting some quotes on repainting my truck and wanting to update the fender mirrors from the tripod mirrors to the newer style.  Easy to install?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I've got a set in my shop waiting for some of the snow to melt...

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

31 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I've got a set in my shop waiting for some of the snow to melt...

Perfect.  Thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

16 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Getting some quotes on repainting my truck and wanting to update the fender mirrors from the tripod mirrors to the newer style.  Easy to install?

Hi Carl,

Couple questions for you. Do you plan to have the mirrors on before the ecr ? I installed the new style mirrors on my truck. The job is not hard. Measure three times. lol. The scary part is drilling holes in the hood. I removed the grill from the truck so I could have easier access to under the hood. I knew taking out my grill wasn't going to be a problem because the grill was out 2 months before I installed the mirrors. I used tape on the outside of the hood. Made all my marks on the tape. I went to my local Volvo dealer to get my measurements for the hood. The local dealer is only 3 miles away. I went out in the yard and did my own measurements. I made a template. Using the edge of the grill to the front edge of the mirror ( 2 places ). Next I used the seam line on the truck to the top of the mirror ( 2 places ). I had some cardboard with me and made the template. I fitted it against the truck in the yard to see if my template was going to work. I know that there could be an easier way of doing it, but that was the only way I could see how to do it. lol.

If you need help, I be glad to help if you plan to do the work at the ecr ( pre-rally)
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,  

Thank you.  Won’t be done until later.  As you know my clear coat is flaking in a couple of places.  We are in the process of getting quotes on painting the truck so that’s when the tripods would disappear and new ones put on.  We have several long trips planned this summer so probably would repaint next fall/winter.  I’ve talked to several folks and with help from the forum and YouTube gonna “band-aid” fix the clear coat.  I can do that for <$50 using rattle can off of Amazon.  Will talk to you at ECR and would like to look at your install.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

As I recall, drilled a pilot hole first and used gasket as a template, aligning the top of the gasket with the edge of the hood.

P1090650a.jpg

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

43 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

As I recall, drilled a pilot hole first and used gasket as a template, aligning the top of the gasket with the edge of the hood.

P1090650a.jpg

Thanks Jim

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived