Fighting rodents

sandsys

I just read this on a blog and decided to pass it on:

"My mechanic did give me one helpful tip today, though; he said to always turn my heat/AC to recirc before I shut the car off because this closes access to the blower.  So, I can at least keep them from messing up the climate control."

Her challenge is squirrels building nests under the hood of her car but I suspect it would work for other rodents as well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 year later...

Thanks.  One time the AC and heat in our car smelled like dog food.  A strong smell and the blower was not putting out much volume.  Turns out we kept dog food out in our garage for our dog and the mice carried a pound or 2 into the system just on top of the cabin filter.  What a suprise when I pulled that filter and all that dog food fell on the floor. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, during this time I was looking for a lot of poisons, baits for rats, but I found here the most uncommon ones http://www.bugszapper.com/3-best-rat-trap-options-which-will-suit-your-needs/. The article there is very useful, you can check it. I decided to choose a special mousetrap trap. Each glue rat trap comes with bait thus, you do not have to handle all that mess and toxicity. By the way, I didn't know that rats love peanut butter. I will definitely try, because I didn't even look at the poisons. I'm afraid for my dog, who loves to eat everything. Btw, my cat also likes eating something tasty, so this bait can help me.

Edited by CristophCor

6 hours ago, CristophCor said:

By the way, during this time I was looking for a lot of poisons, baits for rats, but I found here the most uncommon ones http://www.bugszapper.com/3-best-rat-trap-options-which-will-suit-your-needs/. The article there is very useful, you can check it. I decided to choose a special mousetrap trap. Each glue rat trap comes with bait thus, you do not have to handle all that mess and toxicity. By the way, I didn't know that rats love peanut butter. I will definitely try, because I didn't even look at the poisons. I'm afraid for my dog, who loves to eat everything. Btw, my cat also likes eating something tasty, so this bait can help me.

The Victor traps with the plastic activator are better than similar traps with the metal activator.  A little peanut butter on the center of the plastic gives a place for the rodent to put their feet on the sides of the plastic.  In my experience, they work much better than the metal ones.  As for the glue boards, I was most successful using them along side a trap.  The drawback with the glue boards is you have to kill the rodent yourself, vice the trap snapping it's neck.  But, I did have one packrat the trap did NOT kill (despite the bar coming down behind it's head) and stuck to the glue board.  Regardless, he wasn't getting away and luckily he was a loner.  Killed a total of 11 mice and 1 packrat in 2 weeks, then after 3 days of no activity, thoroughly cleaned out the basement with a bleach solution.  BTW, a wireless camera with infrared is great for seeing rodent activity in the dark.