Research phase pop up vs class c

Shmagu

Hi all,

We are a family of 6, we have an SUV and are able to tow 3500lb? (I may be remembering wrong but I think that was the #).  I have been looking at popup campers and having

a hard time finding one in our price range (which is not a lot)  that would work. We have 3 boys (2 of which are over 6 ft tall) and 1 girl. SO, we are in need of something that would sleep 8 essentially.

I have also been trying to find a Class C camper and again not having the best of luck. I guess I am wondering opinions on the "best" route to take? Pop up or RV? Also, if there are any dealerships or sites that can be recommended? Our MAX budget is $10,000 but I would rather stay between 3-7 if that is even possible? Thank you in advance for any guidance and patience in my naivety.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Shmagu said:

We have 3 boys (2 of which are over 6 ft tall) and 1 girl. SO, we are in need of something that would sleep 8 essentially.

Forest River has some popups that have two big beds, a gaucho bed, and a dinette bed. The dinette bed is short but perhaps your daughter could sleep kitty corner on it if needed. I know nothing about the quality of these units but it proves there are some out there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I assume you are looking at used. I would guess a popup would be the best for the $$ and sleep the most also. I would put the boys in a tent outside if needed. We did that with our girls and they loved having their own "space"'.

That is a great idea, did not even think of that! assuming they slept indoors if it rained:)

At that money you are looking at a bumper pull travel trailer something like this.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2008-holiday-rambler-aluma-lite_rv-39398

2 bunk beds a couch and a queen but no water tanks grey / black tanks no generator so you are really restricted to places with full hook ups.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Forest River has some popups that have two big beds, a gaucho bed, and a dinette bed. The dinette bed is short but perhaps your daughter could sleep kitty corner on it if needed. I know nothing about the quality of these units but it proves there are some out there.

Linda Sand

I will look into it. Thank you.

While there are trailers with bunkhouses, I don't think many are going to fit your towing capacity limits. As SWharton said, I'd look at popups and consider a tent for the older kids.  Our Coleman/Fleetwood Utah popup has two king beds, a dinette bed, and a gaucho couch. We've slept 6 in it. The brochure claims you could sleep 9, with 3 on the king bunk ends (a little too cozy for us).

1 minute ago, The Quiet Assassin said:

At that money you are looking at a bumper pull travel trailer something like this.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2008-holiday-rambler-aluma-lite_rv-39398

2 bunk beds a couch and a queen but no water tanks grey / black tanks no generator so you are really restricted to places with full hook ups.

Yes, the sleeping arrangement is perfect, however, way too big for our SUV...

20 minutes ago, MrsSquid said:

While there are trailers with bunkhouses, I don't think many are going to fit your towing capacity limits. As SWharton said, I'd look at popups and consider a tent for the older kids.  Our Coleman/Fleetwood Utah popup has two king beds, a dinette bed, and a gaucho couch. We've slept 6 in it. The brochure claims you could sleep 9, with 3 on the king bunk ends (a little too cozy for us).

That seems perfect to me, we live in CA so we are used to being cozy:) I will look into the Coleman/Fleetwood Utah...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, The Quiet Assassin said:

Um, that link took me to one with fresh/grey/black tanks.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Shmagu said:

We are a family of 6, we have an SUV and are able to tow 3500lb? (I may be remembering wrong but I think that was the #)

What is the tow vehicle as we could probably help you figure this out. It is very important since this is a safety issue. If this is accurate then I  doubt that you will find any towable RV that is under that gross weight other than a popup, but you may want to check out hybrids as well since they are pretty light in weight too. Something like this Flagstaff would probably work pretty well for you and weigh under the 3500# limit. You probably won't find one of these new for under $10,000 but if you can find one used it should be in your budget.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Shmagu said:

We are a family of 6, we have an SUV and are able to tow 3500lb?

The Max towing capacity of your SUV may be calculated based on the SUV loaded with a 150# driver and not much else. You need to know what the Gross Combined Weight Rating for your SUV is. Then load up the entire family and anything else that will be carried in the SUV and go to a weigh station. The Gross Combined Weight Rating minus the actual weight of your SUV and all its passengers and cargo will be the maximum weight of the trailer that you can tow.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, Shmagu said:

I have also been trying to find a Class C Our MAX budget is $10,000

If I were you, I'd discard the idea of a Class C.  At $10,000, any Class C you find will be quite old and may need several more thousands of dollars in repairs.  Water intrusion would be a major concern.  A popup, hybrid, or other travel trailer will be your best bet.

I highly recommend doing what trailertraveler suggested about getting your loaded SUV weighed.  Without that information, you may end up with a rig that is too heavy for your tow vehicle.  Or you could do as SWharton suggested:  driving two vehicles...one to tow the trailer, one for passengers.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What is the tow vehicle as we could probably help you figure this out. It is very important since this is a safety issue. If this is accurate then I  doubt that you will find any towable RV that is under that gross weight other than a popup, but you may want to check out hybrids as well since they are pretty light in weight too. Something like this Flagstaff would probably work pretty well for you and weigh under the 3500# limit. You probably won't find one of these new for under $10,000 but if you can find one used it should be in your budget.

2006 Volvo XC90 AWD (5 cyl). Yes, looking for used.

37 minutes ago, LindaH said:

If I were you, I'd discard the idea of a Class C.  At $10,000, any Class C you find will be quite old and may need several more thousands of dollars in repairs.  Water intrusion would be a major concern.  A popup, hybrid, or other travel trailer will be your best bet.

I highly recommend doing what trailertravler suggested about getting your loaded SUV weighed.  Without that information, you may end up with a rig that is too heavy for your tow vehicle.  Or you could do as SWharton suggested:  driving two vehicles...one to tow the trailer, one for passengers.

Got it Thanks! 

We only have the one vehicle so perhaps we will have to look at getting another one?

16 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

The Max towing capacity of your SUV may be calculated based on the SUV loaded with a 150# driver and not much else. You need to know what the Gross Combined Weight Rating for your SUV is. Then load up the entire family and anything else that will be carried in the SUV and go to a weigh station. The Gross Combined Weight Rating minus the actual weight of your SUV and all its passengers and cargo will be the maximum weight of the trailer that you can tow.

TY!

40 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I highly recommend doing what trailertravler suggested about getting your loaded SUV weighed.  Without that information, you may end up with a rig that is too heavy for your tow vehicle.  Or you could do as SWharton suggested:  driving two vehicles...one to tow the trailer, one for passengers.

Got it thank you!

1 hour ago, Dmitche4 said:

We used a Starcraft pop up for years.  Three girls slept in one side, son on the table with CPAP machine, and we on the other.  We also carried a Screen house for more room on the outside.  Very rarely did we feel cramped.

David

That makes me feel better! 

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

2006 Volvo XC90 AWD (5cyl)

10 hours ago, Shmagu said:

2006 Volvo XC90 AWD (5cyl)

According to Edmunds.com,  you should have a max. towing capacity of 5000#. I found a gross weight of 5790# but was unable to locate a gross combined weight. I usually try to stay at or below 80% of the maximum which in this case would be 4,632#.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, SWharton said:

You might want to consider driving 2 cars so the SUV can tow the popup and the other can carry the passengers.

We did that pulling our popup.  The tow vehicle would only hold four so we each took some kids and then switch the kids in the vehicles partway through.

David

I agree that for that money you will want a popup, and think a tent for the big boys is a great idea.  Most places allow an RV, plus a sleeping tent and one of those big tents with side mosquito nets for daytime sitting.  You will go nuts trying to fit a large group inside in the rain.

But since you will be cooking for a large group, you will want to be looking at the size of the kitchen, rather than sleeping space.  Yes, you can cook outside a lot of the time, but not always, so having three burners and a larger microwave, would be important, plus preparation space.  That way, if it rains, you can still cook inside.

And to tell you the truth, those big boys will not want to go camping with you forever!!  They will go to college and get jobs and not have the time to spend with mom and dad.  Trust me on this one!!    

Archived