Centramatic Balancers

Av8r3400

14 hours ago, Bigtrailer said:

Be aware guys, in a used truck that has run over the road, these balancers sweat, and will clump inside the ring, and will be a blob inside the ring. Found this out after all 10 of mine I removed and tried to spin them in my arms. Some didn't move, a couple sounded like a golf ball was inside. I took them off after experiencing a vibration I thought was a u-joint or the power divider. I put in bags and all my vibration left. Just to prove this, go down to a commercial tire repair dealer and ask him. Better yet, let him hand you some from his scrap pile and you try it for yourself. They work great when new..... but up the road...….!

By the way, I was running these in my small fleet..... took every one off!

What do you mean by “sweat”?  The moly beads are suspended in oil media.  Would think for them to clump, the oil would somehow have to leak out or thicken with heat which I would think the engineers considered.  Usually oils thin with increase temp rather than thicken.  Without a pinhole leak or such, I’m just not seeing the metal ring channel as being permeable.  Please help me understand.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I just got a set for the drivers from Santa.  The rings are filled with oil.  I can see where if the ring is punctured and the oil released, they will be less than useless.

I'll be ordering the fronts shortly.  I need new front tires for this year...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

On 12/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

What do you mean by “sweat”?  The moly beads are suspended in oil media.  Would think for them to clump, the oil would somehow have to leak out or thicken with heat which I would think the engineers considered.  Usually oils thin with increase temp rather than thicken.  Without a pinhole leak or such, I’m just not seeing the metal ring channel as being permeable.  Please help me understand.

I have seen a set, after 2 million miles on the same Peterbilt. Guy just swapped them to his new truck. I would think if a set was going to clump up. His should have done it way before 2 million miles.

Mine are going on 9 years old, not that many miles. But I would think sitting would cause this issue faster.

Will never run a truck again without them.

event.png

Archived