Co-op questions

kb0zke

As I said in another post, we're getting close to putting our names on the list at a Co-op. As I look at the map of where the co-ops are located, it seems that most of them are in parts of the country that get rather warm in the summer. At this point our thinking is that we would be occupying our lot for much of the November to January time, with maybe a week or two additional time in February. Total time on the lot would probably be less than 90 days/year at this point. That may well increase in the future should we start to reduce our travels, but that's the whole purpose of getting a lot.

For those of you who already have lots in those hot places, what do you do about keeping your belongings in the storage unit cool and dry in the summer? Do you have a small a/c unit? If so, is that metered separately from the rest of the site? We had to pay electricity when we stayed, based on a meter reading, and I can see some people getting unhappy about paying the electric bill to run an a/c in a storage shed. As a lot owner, though, we'd like to keep some things there in the storage shed that might be affected by high heat or humidity. How do others handle this?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

In all of the co-op parks, I'm familiar with, each lot is on a separate meter and pays their own electric bill. If you buy into the park there should be no problem with you doing this.  But it may mean your lot won't be in the rental pool when not there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I highly doubt that folks leave for the summer and leave their air conditioning on.  We had a co-op lot and I don't know of anyone who did that.  We had a very good insulated 'casita' and we tested a summer by leaving tall taper candles in a holder. They didn't wilt a bit during the summer.  Perhaps if you added insulation to yours things would be just fine.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kirk, I'm aware of the meters. That's why I asked about that. We do want our lot to be in the rental pool. The cash benefit to us wouldn't be much, whether or not it is in the pool, but lots in the pool mean that others can make use of the park when the lot owner isn't there. We've taken advantage of that a couple of times, and we are very thankful that those lot owners had their lots in the pool

2gypsies, I'm thinking about just how well I could insulate a casita/shed. Obviously, since we don't have a lot yet we don't know what we might have available to start with. I'm working on the assumption of a bare lot, so that I can build something to my liking. I'd build with 2x6 walls and minimal windows.

David Lininger, kb0zke

True. Since we haven't been to Washington or Oregon yet, we may decide to go that way. Since our brothers, sisters, kids, and grandkids are all in the midwest, though, that probably won't be the area we pick. Hondo looks pretty good, at least from a location standpoint.

David Lininger, kb0zke

We are members at Lone Star Corral near Hondo, west of San Antonio.  Each lot has a separate electric pannel in the shed. If you are going to put your lot in the rental pool the power needs to be off to the shed.  Renters pay a separate fee for the electricity in addition to the lot rent.  

We have not spent any summer there but it does get into the 100 degrees with high humidity. Rain can come down in buckets through out the year.  We do not store things which are heat sensitive in the shed.

We also insure the shed as a shed not a "Casita", our insurance coverage would be much higher.  In Texas a "Casita" is a house.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

Never had an issue with storage through the summer. I suspect that your better off storing stuff in a well insulated, heat shielded Casita than storing stuff for a summer in a RV. We have done both.

The only issue is do you want to belong to a co-op?? 

Here is my description of Park of the Sierra’s. Read the last part about belonging to a co-op. It works for some, it can work for most others and for some...well, you should never join a co-op.

But I think if you stayed for a season in the co-op of your choice you would know by the end of a couple of months if you want to join.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2012/02/park-of-sierras-coarsegold-california.html

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I agree with the suggestion of spending a month at a co-op/condo park before buying in. Read meeting minutes. Study financials. Attend open board meetings. Chat informally with residents/owners. The ownership structure can enhance the community feel and allow you to to make a contribution to the community. It's generally more cost effective in the long run to own vs renting. Selling your lot or share can take time in a down market. It's a democracy, everyone has one vote.

Archived