Verizon True Unlimited Plan No Speed Caps

usnlt

Thanks for the heads up.  I will definitely be watching for this.  We hit our limit just about monthly.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Above Unlimited is 20GB for Hotspot/Modem and that would be at $180 a month compared to my $150 for 40 GB of data.

I'd be interested if I didn't use so much data.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Disclaimer ; I'm not a tech guy, so take what I say here with a grain of salt.

I guess the roll out of 5G is going to solve a lot of Verizons problems with this data issue.  I got on their unlimited data plan when it came out and I like it.  I have however noticed a reduction in their service coverage since the unlimited plan came out.  I'm full time and tend to go to some of the same area's repeatedly.  Since the plans introduction I have gone to area's that used to have a good strong Verizon signal and now have weak or sporadic signals or none at all.  I've noticed it outside of Chattanooga,TN.  I visit my brother there and have never had an issue with a signal until this last visit.  He also has Verizon Wireless and agrees the service has gone down hill.  I notice the same thing around Kerrville TX.  

I think Verizon over sold this unlimited thing and don't have the infrastructure to support the demand.  So do you think it's possible in some area's with high demand they weaken the strength of the signal coming off the towers?  By doing this they would keep the bulk of their customers happy in the high density areas at the cost of losing a few customers in the outlying area's.  

I've been with Verizon for decades and have no plan to switch.  I think they will work this out and they seem to be in the forefront of the 5G innovation. 

Jim     

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

22 hours ago, usnlt said:

Announcement This Week        It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

That article, in the title, says "a true unlimited plan with no speed caps".

And the last line of the article reads:

"and throttles data for customers when they reach 75gb of data before a billing period ends".

So what they say there is "Yeah! It's daytime. Except for when it's night!"

It's STILL not truly unlimited. It won't be unlimited until there is no cap, no threshold, no throttles..... just let me watch TV all I want.

1 hour ago, eddie1261 said:

That article, in the title, says "a true unlimited plan with no speed caps".

And the last line of the article reads:

"and throttles data for customers when they reach 75gb of data before a billing period ends".

So what they say there is "Yeah! It's daytime. Except for when it's night!"

It's STILL not truly unlimited. It won't be unlimited until there is no cap, no threshold, no throttles..... just let me watch TV all I want.

That last line was talking about a plan that Verizon launched a few weeks ago, not what is supposed to be announced this week.

Streaming DirectV Now on both AT&T Mobley and T-Mobile hotspots there is no cap limit and no throttling. (Both SIM cards are in Unite Explore Hot Spots) I've used hundreds of Gb a month with great results.

T-Mobile allows streaming of just about every streaming service with no hit on your data amount.

AT&T is $23 a month and T-Mobile is $30 a month.......Add the early user of DirecTV Now at $35 a month for 100 channels and I watch TV everywhere for under $100 a month!

My Verizon phone has unlimited data on the phone but 15G as a hotspot. If I stream to the phone because i've used up my 15g data hotspot,  I simply cast to a RoKu for big screen viewing.

Two TVs in my trailer...One on Amazon Fire Stick and one on Rouku+....The Roku is recent addition and is far superior to the AmazonFS. Much less buffering and TV control for volume and power on/off on the ROKU remote. Much better GUI.

A WeBoost and a sometime used YAGI antenna on a 16' mast has not failed me watching TV in the most remote locations yet.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

How is DirecTVNow working for you? I read a LOT of reviews and am deciding between DirecTvNow and Sling. Depending on which review you read, Sling is hands down better or DirecTvNow is hands down better (both CAN'T be better!). Some claim that the stream from DTVNow does a lot of sputtering. How has your experience been?  And in the fall, can you get Sunday Ticket on what I call DirecTV Lite?

I've been using streaming services for two years now. I was working in the broadcast distribution industry for the past 8 years. Mostly cable, but recently Video over IP. So I have a little experience in this field.

My opinion, is none of the streaming services are really ready for primetime....especially when using cellular broadband. At home, with cable in one house and fiber in the other, streaming is very close to "prime time"....but still not convenient for those that want to hit one button and start watching TV immediately... Our hard wired Cable Xfinity box and FIOS box accomplish this very well. Don't need to be an IT Expert!

Every streaming service I've played with have buffering issues. Even when hardwired with cable of fiber. But especially with a hotspot as the engine. It's gotten a WHOLE LOT better, but it is still annoying. 

I find the device used for streaming has a huge impact on performance......In my trailer I have Amazon Fire Stick, ROKU+, Smart TV, I-Pad and Android Phone..... Using the same hotspot, I'll witness the Ipad working great with near no buffering and the Amazon or ROKU+ will be buffering like crazy. All hooked up to the same HotSpot. So far, for simple streaming the ROKU wins hands down......The Smart TVs I've tried are terrible! The rest fall somewhere in the middle.

Checking both AT&T and T-Mobile hotspots for upload and download speeds, sometimes the device with the worse numbers gives the better performance. Go figure! (The number of "lines" on the little graph on the screen means absolutely nothing in my experience BTW)

To answer your question......I only had Sling for a couple months and found the channel selection wanting. DTVnow has a huge channel selection. And DTVnow is "free" (no data limit) on AT&T and T-Mobile hotspots. This is a HUGE issue! While on the road for weeks at a time I'll use hundreds of Gb watching TV. I'm addicted to news and documentaries.....

I used to have Curiosity Stream, History Channel, HULU, Netflix, and a half dozen more that we were experimenting with. Found we simply weren't watching them and they were using NON-FREE data.....cancelled all and just use DTVnow and AmazonPrime now.

T-Mobile is easily the best deal going for streaming. But their network is lacking in rural areas. This will be changing soon with 600Mzh service deploying. 

In another 12-24 months the whole video delivery world will be changing dramatically.......Elon Musk with 6500 low orbit broadband satellites, AT&T with "Mini Cell Sites" on top of telephone poles and T-Mobile with 600Mhz will allow amazing speeds, no need to deprioritize and much cheaper, true unlimited,  data plans...................This is why cell companies are buying content companies...AT&T/DirecTV,.....

wait for it...T-Mobile/Dish.....Verizon/Amazon......

I had a sit down with Charlie Ergen a few months ago. He owns DISH. He is convinced the day of the bucket trucks, cable/fiber and 18" satellite dishes is over. Simply unsustainable. And broadband distribution via cell is way less expensive to service and upgrade as times change. Millenials will not pay $250+ for home internet/video services when they leave mom's basement at 35 years old...... He feels $35 a month is the number for everything...cell, data, streaming, etc....

Quick story, 1982, I was involved in the roll out of cellular telephones. Sitting in a meeting in Chicago with Motorola engineers. At the time, a cell could only handle 832 call at once. A couple engineers were surprised it was that many, as "there would never be anywhere near 800 people talking on one cell at the same time".........Last summer I was doing some work with the IT folks at a major NFL stadium and AT&T had just install a system where 100,000+ fans could all be streaming 1080P video, up and down, at the same time!

Love this technology! TIOT, The Internet Of Things.........Crips! I just bought a washing machine that needs to be hooked up to WiFi!!!!!!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

5 hours ago, usnlt said:

I just read the comments on the story.  Folks are saying the author got it wrong that the changes are just for "First Responders."   

Can't you say they meant everybody and be just as correct until Verizon announces it officially? If it was first responders only, that was already done, wasn't it? The way I read it was that the first responders incident was the catalyst and that there will be a truly (and honestly) unlimited plan announced for all users. I also got married 3 times thinking I was getting it right, so.....

• 2 weeks later...

We converted to the Go Unlimited plan on 1 phone & I IPad air and my phone to Beyond Unlimited. I can revert my phone to Go Unlimited when we return home & reactivate when we hit the road. We get 23 GB @ 4G on each device + 16 GB hotspot @ 4G. This added $12 to our cost and will subtract $5 (relative to our previous plan) when we are home (no hotspot) yes there can be throttling on the cell devices if in a high use situation & the hotspot is capped @ 16 GB. We can operate quite nicely within those constraints.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived