Jump to content

troubleshoot onan generator NEVER MIND, FIXED IT


Hot Rod

Recommended Posts

I've got an onan 5500 in a 2004 fifth wheel.  Running good, then sat for a few months.  Now it won't start, and by that I mean won't crank, won't prime, does not seem to be power to either the panel inside the camper, or the prime/start switch right on the generator.  Nothing.  Seems completely dead.

Brand new battery.  Battery cable ends removed and cleaned on both ends.  All the power for the unit seems to come all from the positive battery connection inside the generator.  There is the 4 ga cable coming from the battery to an isolated post, and from there a white 10 ga wire and a double white 16 ga wire on the same post.  Good power on the post and all terminals, and I stabbed the wires to make sure power past the terminals actually into the wire.  There don't seem to be any fuses or circuit breakers (12v) in there. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hot Rod, several years ago, our Onan Marquis 7000, just shut off. So I start to look at the wiring harness and one of those wonderful 16 ga. wires fell right out of the crimp. Crimped back together and haven't had a shutdown problem but many others. Just absolutely love the all-white wiring harness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

No idea what I did, but it is working now.

I would look for a loose or dirty connection. It is likely to return if you do nothing. Try reseating all of the connector plugs for the controls & power.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

            images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once you have checked all the high current 12 Volt and grounds and battery cable type of connections I would next suspect all the low current (maybe 14 gauge and even smaller) control plugs and connectors as I have often seen them get loose and/or dirty and corroded. Some have a factory white looking anti oxidant grease coating. Even if the major high current cables and connections are good (yours may well be)  it don't take much of a faulty control connection to cause your problem.

 

 John T  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the suggestions.   It is likely I wiggled whatever connector that was not quite connecting.  I had the breaker housing (that hides all those WHITE wires) off and twisted all around so I could see the back.  I think I'll take it back apart and pull every connection and spray it up with terminal cleaner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...