5th wheel for a newbe?

MerPDX

Hi All!

So I'm planning on becoming a full time rv'er by January 2019. After looking at so many options TT, 5ths, Class C etc, I am really leaning toward a smaller 5th wheel. My concern is how hard will it be to learn how to tow this thing? I'll be solo, so no spotter...is it insane for me to try the 5th wheel by myself or should I just go with a class c? I plan on moving around every three or four months. I don't have a proper truck to pull with now, but am able to purchase one...

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts,

Thanks!

For many people a MH is easier to back into spots.  That said you are planning on moving only every few months so I would be more concerned with the floor plan and how it fits you.  You likely can learn to back up a 5er if that is best for you.  Since you only have to move now and again just take your time maneuvering and get out to check your progress.  No need to be in a hurry.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Also consider which you'd rather have for a daily driver: a truck or a car you've towed behind a motorhome. As seldom as you plan to move the vehicle you drive when not moving is an important consideration.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There is nothing particularly complicated about hooking up and towing a fifth wheel. And as far as being by yourself I think that a fifth wheel is easier to hitch than a travel trailer assuming that you can see your hitch from the drivers seat. I can in our extended cab truck, but understand that some folks with crew cabs may not be able to see the hitch. In that case there are simple methods (like back-up cameras) to assist. 

If you like the set-up of fifth wheels then don't let the fact that you are solo discourage you. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Unless you are unusual, you will have a learning curve when you begin to travel with any type of RV. I suspect that the class C is probably the most common choice for the single RV folks but I do not recommend choosing what you will live in by popular vote. The most important thing is to find something that you are comfortable living in and then learn how to travel with it. There are RV driving schools that can help you once you buy one. Most people who select a fifth wheel do learn how to maneuver it fairly quickly, but the same is true for any RV. There are those who never get comfortable with most any type of RV as well. How flexible are you and how well do you adapt to new challenges? Only you can make that call, but the probability is that you will not find it that difficult. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I do not recommend choosing what you will live in by popular vote. 

Excellent advice!

The problem, of course, is that most of us do not know what we will find comfortable until we find what is uncomfortable.

We did lots of research.We rented a Class C for a 3-week trip.  We went to Life on Wheels--the equivalent of today's boot camp. We did a lot of down sizing. We marked out the size space we thought we'd have in an RV in our dining room and moved into it. We joined this forum and asked questions. And we still bought the wrong RV.

All you can do is take your own best guess for your own needs and hope it turns out to be right.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You don't say how small is smaller.

My very first RV was a 38' 5er.  DW was not very helpful when it came to helping me park.  As much as I explained what I needed her to do, it fell on deaf ears...she simply didn't get it.  Having a person who fails to understand these things do not turn on a dime can be worse than having no helper at all.  So, I got out and looked 5 or 6 times to make sure I wasn't going to hit anything and I was going to line up in the site.  That is why I really prefer pull thru sites, but it doesn't always work out.

My second 5er was 44' and the 3rd (and current) one is 42'.  Towing really isn't that hard.  You just need to learn how it turns and backs up.  Pivot points on 5ers are different than bumper pulls and motor coaches.  Oh, and as often as you can, get a site that allows you to back in with the site on the driver's side.  Backing in on the blind side is much more challenging.

In preparation of our first run at full timing we went with a 38' fiver and F350.  It was the first RV we had ever owned except a couple tents along the way.  The decision was based on floor plan, value, and ease of towing.  However, I should point out that I had experience driving truck-tractor-trailer combinations so there wasn't much of a learning curve.

Each style of RV has advantages and disadvantages.  My only suggestion would be to purchase your first one "gently" used and take your time doing so.  We were able to locate what we wanted in another state from a private owner.  We ended up only full timing in it for a little over a year before trading but we didn't lose any money.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived