A/C High Amp Draw

dewilso

My 13.5 btu A/C starts it’s run drawing 12-13A, as the unit runs, the Amp draw slowly increases to around 16.5A. Not measured with a Fluke, but don’t understand the increase. Pretty close to sea level at Rainbows End.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

38 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Are you able to measure the voltage at the same time? If the voltage is decreasing then the amperage required to run the unit will increase. Just a thought...

My first thought also. I assume you are measuring with a clamp-on ammeter?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Amp draw and heat go hand and hand in a/c systems. Check your condenser and make sure it's clean, depending on the unit you may have remove the cover to clean the condenser from the inside. Another thing that will cause increased amp draw is a weak compressor run cap NO START CAP.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

My advice runs pretty much with the other fine gents above. I've owned or worked on AC's that drew more current as run time and/or and temperature increases. My similar first thoughts are also to clean the coils and maybe check the capacitor. Often at an RV park (or even where you're located) in high demand hot times line voltage drops making matters worse. Too long or undersized cords also contributes to excess line voltage drop. A good volt meter coupled with an ammeter over time provides good information.

John T

While voltage sag seems most probable, there are several other things that can also cause the current draw to rise after the compressor has begun to operate. Poor heat transfer due to dirty coils, low coolant pressure, and several other things that could increase the workload on that compressor can cause that issue. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the insight. I’m kinda leaning towards the run capacitor now.

Plugged into a good 30a service today instead of the generator so I would have a stable supply. Sitting at 120v steady to start. Started the A/C and voltage dropped to ~116v, A/C drawing 11.9A. After running ~15min, voltage steady at 116, amperage increased to 14.9A.

As said, not measuring with a Fluke. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

22 minutes ago, dewilso said:

Thanks for the insight. I’m kinda leaning towards the run capacitor now

THANKS for the feedback, 

Good plan, if its NOT a drop in voltage,,,,,,,,,,,,and NOT dirty coils,,,,,,,,,and NOT a refrigerant problem,,,,,,,,,,a weak capacitor could be a problem... and they're not all that expensive. While there may be other problems your "leanings" are hopefully correct, let us know what you find. 

John T

1 hour ago, dewilso said:

The meter you linked to is a DC model. Perhaps you have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRW1ZHK/ref=psdc_15729811_t3_B013PKYILS

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Wire connections, undersized wiring, is the unit two stage.  Its somewhat normal for the amperage to increase slightly as an A/C unit comes up to pressure.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived