Tire Pressures

SuiteSuccess

On the new to us DRV we are running Goodyear G114s 17.5”.  Because of our weights they are inflated to cold pressures of 120 psi. which is max cold inflation pressures.  I noticed on a recent trip with OAT high 80’s pressures were running 139-140.  Temps remained mid to high 90’s on TST and hub check with infrared gun confirmed hubs were in the 90’s.  Question is how much pressure increase is allowed for in manufacturing without tire damage?  I know it is mainly heat that damages the tire and leads to blowouts.  What pressures are you seeing?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We see the same thing on our DRV. Start at 120 get up to the mid 130's and into the 40's on a hot day.  The sunny side will run about 5 to 10 degrees hotter depending on the temperature.  I remember reading that there is no problem for the tires unit the 150's. I set my temp alarm at 150 and in 6 years have never had it go off.

2 hours ago, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

We see the same thing on our DRV. Start at 120 get up to the mid 130's and into the 40's on a hot day.  The sunny side will run about 5 to 10 degrees hotter depending on the temperature.  I remember reading that there is no problem for the tires unit the 150's. I set my temp alarm at 150 and in 6 years have never had it go off.

MY TST tire monitors won’t even go below 157 on the temps.  Just was a little concerned seeing the pressures edging to 140 psi but guess they can handle it.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 hours ago, jeffw said:

We have 17.5"s as well. Starting at 125 we'll see over 150psi on long trips on hot days.

Thanks Jeff that reassures me.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl  what Shorty said.  Maybe jump up next line on chart for safety margin. 

For example, on our DRV with 17.5 G114s our heaviest tire req 100 psi on charts. I run 105. Keeps that total rise down a fair bit. Less a kaboom if ever happens. 

If you do need 120 or 125 indeed then no worries. That’s Cold press set. Heat induced rise is accepted by mfg. 

What you see is normal. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

22 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

On the new to us DRV we are running Goodyear G114s 17.5”.  Because of our weights they are inflated to cold pressures of 120 psi. which is max cold inflation pressures.  I noticed on a recent trip with OAT high 80’s pressures were running 139-140.  Temps remained mid to high 90’s on TST and hub check with infrared gun confirmed hubs were in the 90’s.  Question is how much pressure increase is allowed for in manufacturing without tire damage?  I know it is mainly heat that damages the tire and leads to blowouts.  What pressures are you seeing?

Hubs reading in the 90's....what bearings do you have ? I have neverlube and they run hotter than that.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Archived