Adding 120 volt electric to RV slides

Matt NY

Depending on the unit, it is not really hard at all.  I suggest do it much like DRV does. Run the normal electric line to  clear spot under the slide to an exterior type sealed electric box. From there run an extension cord type wire of the proper size to the slide making sure the wire is clear and safe during slide action in and out as well as running down the road. A hole drilled at the outer part of the slide through the floor and into the wall where you want to put the outlet.  Make you hole in the wall for the outlet and fish the wire up to that hole.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Thanks. I wondered about using a 12 GA extension cord wire - since it's flexible.  If I could see the wire that was ran (at the factory) I would copy it/use the same chase. But lo, I can not - I can only see where it comes out of the floor.

think coiled wire line.

so when slide is at midway point ( inor out) coile is shortest. slide all the wsy in, or all the way out coile is extended. but not stressed tight..

make sure all anchors are secure and nothing interferes with the movement of the cord. and away from any and all pinch points.

The dinette in our trailer is in the slide. The benches have storage. I added a 20 Amp outlet to the side of one of the benches connected to a single 20 Amp breaker box and breaker inside the storage space. I installed a 20 Amp inlet in the slide wall directly outside the bench storage area. The wires never flex or move with the movement of the slide. I use a 20 Amp cord to connect to the power pedestal or generator.

Or you can avoid the problem of getting the wire to run in and out with the slide by mounting a duplex outlet on the inside wall next to the slide, then make the slide wiring plug into it.  This way all of the wiring stays stationary inside the slide itself.

Just make sure to unplug the slide before running it back in.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived