Wood Deck - distance to stack

Brad NSW

Any recommendations on how close a wood deck could safely come to the vertical exhaust stack? 

I'm trying to avoid any fire hazard!

Any thoughts on heat shield material / asbestos to decrease clearance?

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

One side of the brain says at least two inches.  The other side sez the only time the exhaust gets hot is when there's plenty of airflow to blow the heat away.

How's that for waffling?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks RICKEIEIO,

Understand the airflow logic...but if EGTs are 900-1100+ for extended time (pulling a long hill), that pipe seems like it would get pretty warm. 

Anyone have an EGT gauge.  My guess, pulling these light loads we never push the engine to get really high EGTs for long periods. And by the time it gets that far back in the pipe, its cooled a bit too.

NOTEVEN,

I've got something similar on my Dodge just below the turbo to protect some wiring...seems to do the job.

Anyone with a wooden deck close to the stack?  Ever see any signs of charring?  With lots of wind (O2), that seems like a recipe for ignition... 

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Try a search for "generator wall thimble" and look for images. You'll find lots of dimension. There are more than a few ways to do it depending on air circulation, heat shielding and insulation. I've used Roxul/Rocwool in the thimbles I've made. It is a very good insulation and unlike fiberglass it allows water to pass through.

Wrapping the the exhaust or intumescent paint will allow the wood to be the closest.  Asbestos is not longer used......look for "glass felt insulation".

If you use inumescent paint use a dark color (black) as it attracts dirt and is very hard to clean

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Archived