More Gremlins in the Truck

rickeieio

It started a year ago last fall.  We were going camping with Paul & Paula, Spindrift, and another couple.  In doing the light check before blast-off, I discovered the left turn signal usually didn't work on the trailer. Fiddled with the plug feeding the Jackalopee and it worked, for a very short time.  I did notice that when the signal failed, I could get it to work if I applied the brakes at the same time.  Hmmmm, seems like a grounding issue.

After much gnashing of teeth and hand wringing, and several more short trips, the results were always the same..... Work on something in the Jackalopee input side and everything worked fine.

During the past month on the road, I've worked on this several more times, removing my tool box and cleaning or even replacing the commercial plug on the back of the cab, tearing apart the pounds of electrical tape and zip ties, etc.  Every time, I got the proper indicators in the Jackalopee and the lights worked, for a short time.

This morning I tried something different.  I opened the Jack and swapped two of the relays.  The issue switched to the right side.  Duh.  I had a half dozen spares in my electrical kit, and hopefully it now is fixed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Not sure I understand the workings of the Jackalopee...but want to.  If the problem simply moved to the right side of the truck, I'm assuming right turn signal now, how did swapping out the relays fix the problem?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I think that they are saying that it was a bad relay. Throw away that relay and the problem probably went away.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I think I'm waking up.  The bad relays were swapped before the new ones were installed...

I should start looking for a Holiday Inn.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Yes, one relay was bad. I'll test today on the way to North Ranch.  It seemed like the offending relay would work for a bit, then die.  Sure makes it difficult to fix, as every time I worked on the wiring, it would work until we were out on the road.

Tom, the Jackalopee is a magic box that converts the truck outlet plug to trailer language.  There's a good bit of smoke stored inside.  Never let the smoke out.

Seriously, it's a circuit board and 5 relays, input on one side and RV outlet on the other. Each function has a led to indicate whether it's working.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Bad relays seem like a somewhat recurring issue on the Jackalopee.  I guess without an autopsy, you can't blame the relay as it just as well might be a truck or installation issue.  Electrical failures are tough to diagnose!

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I did save the old relay, but on yesterday's run, it was comforting to look in the mirror and see the side marker flashing.  We've been running the Jackalopee since early 2010, this was the first relay failure.  That said, two years ago, I had to replace the board due to water getting in.  My own fault, poor mounting decisions.

Our Jack is mounted to the rear of the cab, where I can see the LEDs from the back of the truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived